• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

#2983695 46385 What is it?

Steve340

Reaction score
Hi.
I bought this NOS piece a while ago. I thought it was a headlight on buzzer but the one fitted to my car has only two terminals.
The new part has 3 terminals.
Perhaps it is a horn relay?
If anyone has a parts book could you check on this for me.
Thanks Steve

Slotts

Reaction score
Hey Steve!

The part you have is a "key in ignition" buzzer relay. When you open the door with the engine off and the key in, the buzzer will turn on.
The 2983695 is the B body version and the 2983696 is the E body version. The circuit boards are the same and the only difference is the mounting flange position. The B body is bent up and the E body is bent down. This 695 number stamping is very light and took a close up to see better.

The relay is actually a four conductor device. The two outer shells in the pictures were plated in dichormate zinc. I had a 696 to use showing the circuit board. You can see neat the bottom of the shells that there is a hole. The outer winding on the internal coil is soldered through the hole. Mounting the relay provides ground being the fourth terminal. If plugged in with the three terminal socket, left hanging without mounting it with the screw to the dash frame, the relay will not work properly.

IMG_5855.jpg
IMG_5856.jpg
IMG_5857.jpg
IMG_5858.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jim

Steve340

Reaction score
Hi Jim.
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if you would see this post.
I thought on the E body the key buzzer was combined with the horn relay?
If not can you let me know were it is located.
I cannot recall ever seeing it.
My headlight on buzzer works but the key in one has never worked.

Steve340

Reaction score
Update.
My car is a 1971. I went online and found out were it should be.
I looked over in the glove compartment area and there is no spare 3 pin plug or wiring.
I think mine must be in with the horn relay perhaps?

Slotts

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, Steve. The part number in question for what you have in the title of this thread is a 70 only part. The B body mounted by the driver's side and the E body mounted to the right side of the glove box. In 71+ the fuse block was modified to accept a horn and key in buzzer relay, part number 3513206. The 71 harness eliminated the key in buzzer wiring run to the glove box side.

You never know what and how many Mopars are in someone's garage! ;) Yes, I did know you have a 71 Challenger, but was just trying to answer your initial question.

Jim

Steve340

Reaction score
I bought that part thinking it was a headlight on buzzer and may be a handy spare. Got that wrong - it will not fit my 1971 E body car at all.
Thanks for confirming the difference between 1970 and 1971. I know your info will be spot on.
Some of the info I found on the internet was conflicting and I got a bit confused.
I do have a 1968 Plymouth GTX but this part will be no good for that either.
Hope you are keeping well.
Regards Steve

Back