• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

3-Speed vs Automatic

Claudia

Reaction score
I am thinking of converting a factory 3-speed '71 Barracuda over to an automatic.

My questions are as follows:

1) Will the '71 Barracuda "automatic" center console fit over the factory 3-speed tunnel in the car?
2) What other issues could I expect to run into when doing this?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Yes, the console will work, but you will need the auto shifter brackets. They weld where your 3 speed tunnel sits. You will need that part of the auto tunnel. The best thing would be to convert to a 4 speed. You already have most of the parts. It becomes a bolt in operation. Is the console for an auto or standard shift?

Claudia

Reaction score
Challenger6pak - I assume you are referencing the brackets that are welded to the floor that the console will mount to? I understand that it would be easier to convert to a four speed, however that is not what I am after. Car did not come with a center console and I have not purchased one yet.

Adam

Reaction score
You will also have to change the pedals and steering column, if its a column shift car.. also the drive shaft, radiator and cooler lines, throttle & kick down linkage..

Claudia

Reaction score
Adam - Car was originally a 3-speed floor shift car. It currently has no motor, transmission or radiator.

Claudia

Reaction score
Challenger6pak - Not sure yet which way I want to go, just exploring options. Everybody has a standard shift.

Adam

Reaction score
A 4 spd would be easier, and would help the value of the car... not so the other way, imo.

aussiemark

Reaction score
A 4 spd would be easier, and would help the value of the car... not so the other way, imo.
I agree too many autos around and you already have the clutch pivot mount, tunnel hump and pedals in place. A pistol grip 4 speed is waaaay cooler then an auto and if you ever decide to sell it will go in no time for more money as well.

Last edited:
Back