• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 - best oil, transmission, radiator, brake fluids?? Getting ready to fire it up

Xcudame

Reaction score
Run the engine and transmission in neutral for about 60 seconds then check the level. The convertor won't fill in Park unless you've installed a Trans pack 2 or 3 shift kit with the special manual shift valve. This is one of the reasons I always use a deep transmission pan and extended pickup. More fluid is always a good thing.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
It is all original tranny nothing special. Thanks for your information. This will save me in the long run.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Xcudame Have you been using the DOT5 brake fluid in your car? Do your brakes work well? I have been reading up on DOT5 and I have read that the braking in the car may become spongy and more susceptible to brake fade. I don't plan or road racing my car so I don't think brake fade will occur but don't want the brakes to not work well. What's you thoughts?

gran coupe john

Reaction score
@Xcudame Have you been using the DOT5 brake fluid in your car? Do your brakes work well? I have been reading up on DOT5 and I have read that the braking in the car may become spongy and more susceptible to brake fade. I don't plan or road racing my car so I don't think brake fade will occur but don't want the brakes to not work well. What's you thoughts?
I have not put any fluids in yet. I am using the original master cylinder. Probably will stay with dot 3, because that is what is recommended.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
If your running a flat tappet camshaft be sure to use a break in oil with plenty of zinc. Also make sure it fires quickly even if you have to use some starting fluid. Fill the carb fuel bowl as well before cranking. If you have new headers break it in with an old set or they may discolor due to initial fire heat.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here is a link on transmission information.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I've had Dot 5 brake fluid in my Challenger for about 20 years now and thousands of miles. Zero problems. In fact I think I added a little (couple ounces) last time I replaced the front disc pads. Seems like Dot 3 "disappears" more over time than Dot 5.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Xcudame That's great news. Thank you for the information. It makes things easier when you know people have used products and give honest answers.

Back