• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 speed conversion

drewkins

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to take my 1970 318 with A-230 trans and switch to an A-833 4 speed. besides the cost of the new transmission Im wonder what the other expect cost and parts ill need to complete this. Such as shifting linkage and possibly drive shaft issues?

Thanks for you help in advance,

Drew

CaseyCuda

Reaction score
Thats funny I'm doing the same to my 70 318 cuda. You need to price a transmission hump for the floor, clutch and brake pedal conversion, there is a bracing on the firewall you need As well, the drive shaft needs to be modified, sterring column, console if you want to be pretty lol. There are pages of source material for all these things and some I haven't named just use the search at the top

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have not done a swap from the 3 speed to 4 speed , the hump should be the same , I believe the driveshaft is also but you may need the larger slip yolk , you will already have pedals Z bar etc , I would upgrade the clutch to a 10.95" unit , you will need a proper 4 spd shifter & linkage

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Have a look on Brewer's website, they have a lot of good info and pics on that site.
You will need a flywheel to suit the larger bellhousing so you need to figure in the cost for that for sure.
Trans hump is the same tho :)

drewkins

Reaction score
thanks all. my 3 speed is on the floor. so i will need a new bell-housing? i was aware of linkage and shifter. and i was going to do an all new clutch and fly at the same time.

IMG_20130428_145415_027.jpg

Back