• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

408 Stroker Cam dilema...

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
Hey all, building a 408 stroker for my 72 Rallye 4spd Challenger. Cast steel crank, forged pistons, rods, all bought and balanced from Dave at Hughes Engines. I am putting the Edelbrock Pro-Flo4 multi port setup on it with mildly ported Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads (also ported by Hughes), and TTI 1 7/8" race headers so she can breathe easy. This car will be mainly street but still would like to get into the 10's when I do take her to the track on occasion and want to be able to spin it up to ~6000 RPM or so (like on my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker).

Trying to get some guidance for the cam. Dave recommended a flat tappet since he can get me that quickly, I was leaning towards solid roller for the higher RPM availability, but also have seen lots of horror stories about solid roller bearings coming apart, and since Isky doesn't make their lifters with the solid bearing for small block Mopars, I am unsure which way to go? Granted a lot of the "stories" I have read on solid roller lifters coming apart on street engines are many years old, I thought I would ask this forum for anyone's history with a street/strip stroker with a solid roller lifter setup??

Thanks in advance!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I love solid roller , just not cheap !!
I believe there are some EDM lifters that oil the roller from above the roller which are worthwhile for any street build
I have run solid rollers but I have put a lot of street miles on them . I have used a lot of flat tappet solids usually custom ground for street builds & they work great as long as the correct oil is used .

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
I'm building a performance engine for my baby Chryco.....money is no object! LOL, I mean I've already got $8K into this stroker build, what's another couple!! :) I just don't want to have to deal with break in, etc required for flat tappet, and want to see if anyone else has experience with a solid roller on a mainly street/some drag car...

gzig5

Reaction score
6000 rpm is nothing. A solid flat tappet cam should be able to easily accomplish your 10 sec range goal and rev to 7k if needed. That is more about the springs than the lifter. I'd stay away from anything hydraulic these days. On the other hand the solid roller will give you a lot of headroom. The thing to remember with a roller cam is that the lobe profile usually requires a stouter spring to control the valve and if you get really agressive with high lift, they need to be checked periodically. The billet cam core also is going to require a different gear on the oil pump drive that can be a long term maintenance item. Flat or roller solid lifter will require lash adjustment once or twice a year, so not a big deal. Roller lifters are $$$ but that doesn't seem to bother you.
I want to go with a solid roller if I can work it into the budget but I'll probably start out with a SFT on my build.

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
I was looking around and found a company called Borowski that makes solid roller lifters for small blocks that have the solid bronze bearing like the Isky ones....anyone ever hear of them/use them??

Back