• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 into 70 challenger

steveschwenke

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have 70 challenger that had a 318 in it and i have the chance to either put in a 340 or a 440
what is entaled and needed and approx cost in the 440 conversion because this is the route i would rather take
Thx steve

R/T4speedconv

Reaction score
While a 440 is sexy the E-body is at its best with a 340 sixpack in it as far as handling the corners and aint bad at "go". I have a 440 but it is at its best straight ahead. The E-body with a small block is a better over all, In my opinion. (let the flaming begin :) ) If I ever get a second Challenger I will go for the small block myself and enjoy the better front/rear balance.
The 440 will bolt up to the K member, you will need the heavier torsion bars and springs. Bigger brakes. Manual or auto tranny? But then again you will for the 340 too. Price wise I will guess it will not be much difference between the 440/340 in the long run. It is a bit of a squeeze to get to the plugs on the 440 and much easier on the 340.

Cranky

Reaction score
A small block will be an easier swap since the under hood wiring is the same and you can probably use the same radiator but sticking in a big block isn't hard. Since the distributor is up front on a BB, you'll have to address the wiring for that etc. You might can use the same radiator depending on your water pump housing suction location. You will need a big block trans (727), drive shaft will be shorter if the teen came with a 904. What rear do you have. Small block K frame will take the BB with the right motor mount brackets. What's your plan for the car? Street, street/strip, cornering? If drag racing is in your plans, you can use the 318 bars....like R/T4 says, plugs are a bit tighter to get to but you can even get to them from the bottom.....

steveschwenke

Reaction score
A small block will be an easier swap since the under hood wiring is the same and you can probably use the same radiator but sticking in a big block isn't hard. Since the distributor is up front on a BB, you'll have to address the wiring for that etc. You might can use the same radiator depending on your water pump housing suction location. You will need a big block trans (727), drive shaft will be shorter if the teen came with a 904. What rear do you have. Small block K frame will take the BB with the right motor mount brackets. What's your plan for the car? Street, street/strip, cornering? If drag racing is in your plans, you can use the 318 bars....like R/T4 says, plugs are a bit tighter to get to but you can even get to them from the bottom.....

I have the tranny and mostly looking for steet and some strip

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you will need a different trans or belhousing as the bolt patttern is different between the 2 , I would recommend 1" torsion bars , the rad needs to be bigger & you need all the associated hardware for the big block such as mounts alt brakets , power steering brakets . Wiring is simple eonough , 4-5 wires need to be extended to reach the front of the engine,
Simple swap really

71383bee

Reaction score
Hands down the 340 is the better way to go. It will drop right in and need almost nothing. The 440 will need as mentioned a whole laundry list of items. Besides the 340's lighter weight will make the car handle better and getting 400+ from a 340 is very easy to do.

As for plug changes. big blocks are a complete PITA compared to a small block.

I guess I am a bit biased, but I really like 340's and its fun to against the grain.

Back