• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440HD Rods versus Stock

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Having been around a while and reading some of the background emails concerning the 2 types of 440 rods, some of the guru's were claiming that there never were 2 distinct different Rods. Someone posted on one the forums, the MOPAR PN's for the different rods, but hardly anyone has ever seen photos.

As a General info email, I have attached 2 different pages from a manual I have pictorially showing the rods. Feel free to use anywhere in your discussions and with the 2 different PNs plus photos, let the myth of 'There were never 2 types of rods in different 440's from MOPAR' die a peaceful death.... Best always to all you Die hard MOPAR enthusiasts!!!

Well, I was going to attach the PDF file, but a 19.5K limit has stopped this. So if the moderators will provide an alternate site to forward the PDF to, they may edit and shrink down the documents or photos

Cheers Everybody....

carbuilder

Reaction score
You are correct on 2 different rods

I have a 1970 440 six pak shaker with 40,000 original miles. Had a vibration in the vehicle ever since we purchased it in 1985. In 2003 pulled the engine and upon disassembly there it was a wrong rod. 4 bbl in a 6 pack engine. There is 68 Gr of weight difference between the two rods.
Ok one more point I worked 43 years for Chrysler and yes there was a difference.

moper

Reaction score
There were two rods... One is the standard "LY" rod which was used in std 440s, HP 440s, and some six barrel 440s. The other is a larger beam rod that is referred to as the "six pack" rod. However, only some of the 6bbl engines used them, along with many truck and HD truck 440s. The main problem with the larger and heavier rod is that they make use oft he same rod bolts as the LYs. Which means the weakest part, the parting line between the cap and rod, is no stronger. Also, the rods are heavier which means the bolts have a lot more stress on them as they run. Overall, the std LY rod is lighter and stronger due to the lighter weight.

Challenger340

Reaction score
Dunno ?
but if anyone needs PICS of the two Rods, LY and 6PK, and the differences/Similarities as MOPER has pointed out, let me know and I'll post a few.

Back