• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Starter Click

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Hello all.I just went to start my car and all it will do is the one click.Battery is fully charged and all parts are new such as battery,starter,starter relay and all cables and wiring.Car has about 200 miles on it since restoration. Car has been starting just fine but I did hear a click then it started when I started it a few days ago. It did the click noise but did start right up.I thought maybe a loose starter wire but all was good. I went to start and now all it does is click. I took starter off and had parts store test and it passed. I put back on and it still clicks. Its a mini starter if that matters. Any ideas? Starter relays go bad and do this? Any help much appreciated.Thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
My first guess is a loose wire/cable/terminals, or bad ground. Make sure the negative cable does not have paint under it where it connects to the engine. If all the wires are tight, test jump the starter relay and see if it cranks; if it does then you know the starter, battery, cables, etc, are good.

rogue

Reaction score
yeah, starter relays go bad... try jumping the starter relay B to S terminals and see if it turns over normally. Also seen dirty and loose battery terminals cause this... poor grounding, worn and burnt terminal, especially at bulk head disconnect and, of course, dead/weak battery

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Has been starting fine for the past few months.This has all started over the past few days. All parts are new. Was starting perfect until past few days when I heard the click but started. Paint is new everywhere on car but everything else works just fine. Not sure why all of sudden this is happening.

rogue

Reaction score
i hear ya... just go through basic troubleshooting steps... it's frustrating but it will come down to loose wire, batter or starter relay going bad despite being new or some other silly thing that just decide to fail

Rich G.

Reaction score
Turn the headlights on and try to start it. If they go out when you try to start it the problem is probably in the battery or the cable connections. If it’s a loud click I’d bet it’s the starter. Doesn’t take much to spin it on a bench but turning an engine is a lot different. Is the starter clicking or the starter relay?

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Turn the headlights on and try to start it. If they go out when you try to start it the problem is probably in the battery or the cable connections. If it’s a loud click I’d bet it’s the starter. Doesn’t take much to spin it on a bench but turning an engine is a lot different. Is the starter clicking or the starter relay?
Sounds like the starter clicking.Turn key and it clicks just once. Battery fully charged and cables are new.This is all new as a couple of days ago.Thanks.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
I did turn on headlamps and tried starting but same click and no change in headlamps.They are bright and are while starting. Going to try a different relay and see what happens. Thanks

Rich G.

Reaction score
Jump the wires right on the starter if it cranks the problem is up from there. If it still clicks the starter is bad. When all else fails if the starter is just clicking have someone smack it with a hammer as you try to start it. I do that on road calls at work all the time if it’s just a bad spot in the starter.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and changed the starter and care started right up. I guess the starter crapped out on me. Never had one just die on me like that. Thanks to all for the input.

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad you got her started again. Just goes to show that new stuff can crap out too. Hope you were able to return the old "new" starter.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Glad you got her started again. Just goes to show that new stuff can crap out too. Hope you were able to return the old "new" starter.
Thanks,I don't know how that's going to go down yet on the return.They tested it and said it was good but would not start my car. Im just glad its starting now. I will likely just have to eat the other new old starter. Funny saying new old starter lol. Just relieved its fixed. Im going to drive the wheels off it tomorrow. Again thanks to all.Mike.

Adam

Reaction score
Heat will kill a starter pretty quick. If you have headers you should probably wrap the starter with some heat shield material.

plymouthbelvy

Reaction score
Heat will kill a starter pretty quick. If you have headers you should probably wrap the starter with some heat shield material.
Thanks for the info.I have a 340 with the factory hp manifolds so I am sure that wasn't the issue.I just got a bad starter I guess.

ewpeters11

Reaction score
What starter in best for a 1968 383 mopar engine? This is on ebay: Starter Motor Quality-Built 3258 Reman. Or is it best to buy the OEM starter rebuilt? I like the original sound of the starter for mopars. Also, where is the solenoid on these, built into the starter? If so can you buy kit's to fix that or is it not worth the trouble?

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hello all.I just went to start my car and all it will do is the one click.Battery is fully charged and all parts are new such as battery,starter,starter relay and all cables and wiring.Car has about 200 miles on it since restoration. Car has been starting just fine but I did hear a click then it started when I started it a few days ago. It did the click noise but did start right up.I thought maybe a loose starter wire but all was good. I went to start and now all it does is click. I took starter off and had parts store test and it passed. I put back on and it still clicks. Its a mini starter if that matters. Any ideas? Starter relays go bad and do this? Any help much appreciated.Thanks.
Ive had the damn mini starters one on my 360 dodge warlock its been trouble every since .some times i have to tap with wrench small hammer and it works. These things arent made as good as the old ones the bendix. Catches. Or the spring and gear in front. Will throw it out to the flywheel and **** sideways and stick .when you tap it it releases the when you try it again the solinoid will kick it again and probably start. There a pain and when it gets hot it will stick worse. Ttaiwan junk! Try to find a dodge dakota starter from junk yard at least there factory spec.

heminut

Reaction score
I have one of the Dakota mini starters on my 5.7 Hemi and I had it on the 392 Chrysler Hemi that I used to have in the car before the 5.7. That starter has been in the car for over 15 years and two engines and has always worked great.

Back