• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 steering column, two part question.

Kris376

Reaction score
Rebuilding the steering column of my 70 Challenger to use with my RMS k member and hellcat swap but I think my steering column might be missing some parts.
It's a reverse lockout column. There is a nylon bushing between the reverse lockout tube and the the steering column tube but nothing between the steering shaft and the reverse lockout tube. You could take the whole steering shaft and bang it around inside the reverse lockout tube, there is a ton of play. In fact there was no roller bearing or bushing of any kind supporting the steering shaft anywhere in the assembly.

My first question is, what parts am I missing and what do I need to fix this? RMS included a lower support bushing but make no mention about what to do if you have a lockout tube, as the bushing is made to fit over the steering shaft between the column. It's too big in diameter to fit between the lockout tube and the steering shaft. I could machine it down if I have to.

Second question is, I would like to delete the entire reverse lockout tube all together, but is this possible or did the non-reverse lockout columns use a different column tube? I can't just remove the lockout tube or there is nothing for the lowest portion of the steering column (the part with the set screw that moves with the lockout tube) to mount to.

If anyone has any idea about either of these issues, it would help me out a lot. TY!

IMG_0220.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
Cuda Cody did some real good videos on steering columns that you can find on Youtube.
I believe he did a series of 4 videos.

themechanic

Reaction score
Detroit Muscle Technologies sells the kit for the steering column. There's a gray foam rubber insulator that goes between the steering shaft and the lock tube.

Call and ask them about it.

roadrunnerKEN

Reaction score
Rebuilding the steering column of my 70 Challenger to use with my RMS k member and hellcat swap but I think my steering column might be missing some parts.
It's a reverse lockout column. There is a nylon bushing between the reverse lockout tube and the the steering column tube but nothing between the steering shaft and the reverse lockout tube. You could take the whole steering shaft and bang it around inside the reverse lockout tube, there is a ton of play. In fact there was no roller bearing or bushing of any kind supporting the steering shaft anywhere in the assembly.

My first question is, what parts am I missing and what do I need to fix this? RMS included a lower support bushing but make no mention about what to do if you have a lockout tube, as the bushing is made to fit over the steering shaft between the column. It's too big in diameter to fit between the lockout tube and the steering shaft. I could machine it down if I have to.

Second question is, I would like to delete the entire reverse lockout tube all together, but is this possible or did the non-reverse lockout columns use a different column tube? I can't just remove the lockout tube or there is nothing for the lowest portion of the steering column (the part with the set screw that moves with the lockout tube) to mount to.

If anyone has any idea about either of these issues, it would help me out a lot. TY!

View attachment 98111
Nice drawing. I'm in the same boat with my column ripped apart on the work bench right now. There is no lower shaft support so I'm gonna use a ER16 flange bearing after I trim the column tube down a bit lengthwise--- but that reverse lockout tube is in the way AND I don't need it. You sure didn't get many replies to your dilemma. .... and, yeah, I'm NOT restoring this thing.

Steve340

Reaction score
I assume you are going rack and pinion?
The original steering shaft is supported at the top by the upper column bearing and the coupler/steering box at the bottom end. This system means the column does not need a bearing at or near the firewall.
You probably need to strip the column remove the reverse lockout tube and fit a bearing to the bottom of the column to support the steering shaft.
Or fit an aftermarket steering column.

roadrunnerKEN

Reaction score
Nope....no rack, just a manual box that I put in years ago when I got rid of the power steering. . Just want to clean up the column. Removed the lock out tube today and shortened the column a smidge and fitted the ER16 bearing. That video from cudacody on you tube kind of reinforced everything I've done so far on rippin' it apart.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
They take a lot of time. I must of watched that video by Cody 20 times. But it payed of. Painting, and waiting on parts were the worst part.

roadrunnerKEN

Reaction score
They take a lot of time. I must of watched that video by Cody 20 times. But it payed of. Painting, and waiting on parts were the worst part.
That is a Great video. I'm ready to paint my column parts today since the wind has died down. I removed the inner lock-out column and shortened the main column only about a 1/2 " and fitted a ER16 bearing for a lower shaft support. I'm havin' fun going through all this stuff. My son doesn't understand ( a non-car guy ) . He says I'm wasting my time, "Just paint it black and throw it in. Just put it together" I tell him it's not about just driving the car...part of the fun is working on it and knowing all the parts in the car......or maybe it's my excuse for taking forever to get it back running again. I can't let perfection be the enemy of progress. But at least I'm working on it again.

Back