• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Barracuda dash emblem install questions

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Hello, I am putting in a new dash pad and need to install a new "Barracuda" dash emblem, 71 style. I see there are 2 types, 1 adhesive backing and another with plastic pins. My original is the pin style but there wasn't any "backers" on the pins to keep in installed. The adhesive style seems easier (is cheaper too) but will it stay on the dash? Also, how does the pin style stay attached in the dash without any backers to hold it tight? Here is a link to Classic Industries showing both styles of emblems... https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1971/plymouth/barracuda/parts/?q=dash emblem

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
After more research, it looks like the adhesive backing piece attaches to the black plastic piece with the pins in the back. Therefore there is really only 1 to mount to the dash pad, with the pins. Does it just push through and the material of the pad hold it on?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I installed my 1970 Barracuda dash emblem without the retainers on the pins. I used clear Gorilla Glue on the pins before inserting them in the pad. The 1971 style dash emblem should be even easier to remain glued in place with such a large surface area.
YSZwaWQ9QXBp
New Metal Barracuda Script Dash Emblem 2 (2).jpg
1971-74 E-Body Dash Emblem BARRACUDA.jpg

tonysrt

Reaction score
I wonder how much money was saved going from the more elaborate 70 style to the 71 chintzy plate with the barracuda script. Thank goodness for the bean counters. Or the ugly side marker lights that came out in 72.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Hey MoparCarGuy, I don't recall having those small retainer rings on my pins? Though I didn't look when I took off the old one. I wonder if the new emblems come with those retainers.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I am not sure how the retainers would even work on a dash that is already vacuum-formed. Maybe they are glued into place under the vinyl prior to vacuum-forming and then the emblem pins are inserted.
Seems like a one-time shot at getting that to work though. Gluing the emblems in place using only glue on the pins will do the trick. Not much affects the emblem unless somebody starts fiddling with it. LOL

gs73rallye

Reaction score
I wonder how much money was saved going from the more elaborate 70 style to the 71 chintzy plate with the barracuda script. Thank goodness for the bean counters. Or the ugly side marker lights that came out in 72.
They saved a lot, because 1970 they had to have a different dash for barracuda and Challenger. When they changed it for 71, the dash was identical and they just had to put the corresponding sticker on that black plastic name plate.

BSG

Reaction score
Those retainer nuts are one time use for the most part. We call them speed nuts inMy industry there is a top and bottom. The emblem should come with.. if not, any ace, Home Depot etc has them. Just get a 1/4 inch socket that will fit over the stud but not the speed nut and firmly but straight push down to install when done right it holds tight. they will most likely break the studs off when trying to remove if you ever want to remove/replace emblem

Sal C

Reaction score
The new repops are just small plastic barbs and don't hold well without some glue. UHU Por glue (not easy to find) works really well. It's like a rubber cement, you apply to both sides to be cemented together, put in place, separate & wait about 10 minutes, then put back in place. Will hold tightly for as long as needed.

Amazon product ASIN B000KSQU1K
51jhK6nDVrL._AC_SL1181_.jpg

Back