• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 barracuda gas tank questions..... 4 vents on side

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here are two articles to read

JKCuda

Reaction score
Rather than start a new post, figured I'd post here. The body work on my 72 restoration is almost complete. I'm trying to nail down the final parts/details and I am struggling mightily with the fuel system. I have repop tank with 4 nipples out the front. Factory vapor separator is gone as well as all stock lines. I will be running a 360 stroked to 408, 750 double pumper, and I have a carter m6270 fuel pump. I also picked up a new sender with a 3/8 line. Plan to run a 3/8 fuel line but that's where the confusion starts for me. I've always been an EFI guy so I'm unsure of what exactly else I need to run such as a vent line, etc. I see people mentioning a return line, but in EFI that's a fuel return line but I'm gathering that is something different in a carb application. Anyone got some tips on what I need to finish out my fuel system?

Steve340

Reaction score
JKCUDA
Plenty of good info/explanation in the factory service manual on the factory fuel tank vapour saver system as well as what RTA has posted.
I think it was only the 440 Six Pack and the Hemi engine cars that had the fuel return from the vapour separator fitted in to the fuel line after the fuel pump. This line did return liquid fuel to the tank. The fuel sender would have had provision for 2 lines on these cars.
These cars would have had the 3 lines running to the front. My car has only 2 as the 340 motor did not have the fuel return - only the fuel supply and the vapour saver line to the filter on the valve cover.

Back