• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 barracuda gas tank questions..... 4 vents on side

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my fuel tank in my 71 barracuda. It has 4 vent tubes on right side. I see a holley tank but it looks like there is only 1 vent tube on right side but says it is a stock replacement tank. I called their tech support but he couldn't answer why there was only 1 vent. He referenced an old car he has that some of the vents may be just looped to each othe and only 1 real vent to atmosphere. The car has been apart for a long time so I can't remember where all the vent hoses go. Does anyone know where all the vent lines go? thanks

Adam

Reaction score
The four vents go to each corner of the tank and connect to the four tubes that go up in the pipe in the trunk, looks like a capped off filler tube. I think it’s for cars that had Calif. or similar emissions equipment. The factory service manual has a diagram that could be helpful. However, you could get by with one vent. To prevent your garage from smelling like gas fumes you would probably have to run the vent line to a charcoal canister with a valve, then to the air cleaner.

Reaction score
N95 on fender tag and sheet takes the 4 tube tank With the larger pipe in the trunk.

If no N95 it takes a one tube tank with a small line inside the trunk.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Do you have this arrangement?

100_2291.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
I thought all 1971 cars had the 4 vent tube system???
My 71 has the system same as RTA's picture

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
1970 N-95 CA cars and all 1971 cars have the vapor recovery system.
Not trying to chime over another thread but I have a 71 rt 340 and seem to have a mix of both ecs and non ecs. The car had no vents on the tank. No vent tube and a non ecs boot with a 1/4" vent from the frame rail to filler neck. Under the rear fender well was a 5/16" line was cut off of something that ran to the front along with the 5/16" fuel line. No N95 on the fender tag. I ended up ordering a new tank for a 71 without knowing the difference and it came with the 4 vents. Any info on my options would really help as it is just delaying my progress until I can figure this out and what is best and correct.

IMG_20230228_160553278.jpg

IMG_20230228_161443441.jpg

IMG_20230228_161408797.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

MerlinsMopars What is the build date of your car? the one I have pictured above is 71. build date 11/70. Not sure if this is plant or date specific. Wich I think it is. Someone might correct it.​

1971_dodge_challenger_10_lgw.jpg

a3d2_3.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score

MerlinsMopars What is the build date of your car? the one I have pictured above is 71. build date 11/70. Not sure if this is plant or date specific. Wich I think it is. Someone might correct it.​

Shows 1-71 on door tag

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's all I got in the trunk but why the extra line to the front then? Seems like it was cut off under that boot. Should I get a non vented tank also? It had a locking cap on it.
Vapor line to valve cover crank cap or to carb. some times as a return. The pictures above shows how some are connected. wheel well pic shows fuel line on bottom

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
The 2nd line from the back under the splash panel was bolted to the passenger front fender like the pics of the blue and bronze cars. Wasn't hooked up to anything and I am running aftermarket air cleaner and valve covers so I didn't plan on any of that being used. I'm in a rut of this.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The 2nd line from the back under the splash panel was bolted to the passenger front fender like the pics of the blue and bronze cars. Wasn't hooked up to anything and I am running aftermarket air cleaner and valve covers so I didn't plan on any of that being used. I'm in a rut of this.
Bottom line if you don't have the 4 line ECS I would not get that one. The line on the inner fender is for pulling vapors from the ESC tank. put a cap on it. somewhere along it could have been changed or not. I don't see where the trunk floor is punched for the ECS vent on yours.

Last edited:

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Bottom line if you don't have the 4 line ECS I would not get that one. The line on the inner fender is for pulling vapors from the ESC tank. put a cap on it. somewhere along it could have been changed or not.
Can I use a tank with the 4 vents and plug them and just use the vent on the filler with a locking cap. That vent goes into the frame rail?

Back