• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Cuda Carpet install and shifter removal

4speedin

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to E bodies and have recently purchased a 71 Cuda with a 4 speed. I am replacing the poorly installed carpet job and would like some advice as to who sells the best quality and fitted carpet. Also I need to remove the pistol grip shifter to install the new carpet. What is the best way to accomplish this task?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you! Mike

michael

Reaction score
I have a 71 challenger 4 spd I put the interior back in 2010 after the car came back from body shop. I got my carpet from year one but I believe it was legendary brand. Put some insulation mat on the floorboards first. There is a inner metal ring that holds the rubber shifter boot on then the chrome ring tops it off. None of the 4 spd shifter has to be removed.

Racer57

Reaction score
Car was unbearably hot in the summer, so I decided that my winter project would be to fix that.
I laid Dynamat on every surface possible including the doors and in the drivers area laid Relectix along the firewall, floorboard and 4speed hump. I also sealed off the large hole for the shifter.
I bought a new carpet from Classic Industries (OER brand) because I could get it cheaper on sale. After receiving it rolled up as tight as possible in a bag inside a box on a 2 degree day, I laid in out in a corner of my living room to thaw and "relax". 2 weeks later I decided it was time to lay it. The back seat area wasn't too bad to do especially with the help of a hand held steamer in the forward seatbelt retractor area and lots of 3M spray adhesive.
The next day I tried to lay the front section and it refused to come close to laying properly and had no throttle pedal clearance due to all the dynamat and reflectix. I pulled it back out noticed on the back side 2 places where the padding was bunched up when it was originally glued down. Wife and I spent 2+ hours with razors cutting the pad loose. I then used only portions of the pad in the flat footing area, but it would not stick to the reflectix. Wife suggested gluing burlap to the reflectix for the carpet to bond too and it worked perfect. Then tried to lay carpet but there wasn't any provision for the area of the hump where it ends and curves sharply and steamer would not do any good.
Got disgusted, tore everything out and threw it away. Ordered ACC carpet from RockAuto. http://www.rockauto.com/ It also came in the same size box as the OER and on a 10 degree day but not in a bag. Opened it up and looked at backside and it also had the pad bunched up in a couple places from not being glued properly. :banghead: Cut all pad off. Laid sections of pad where needed. The ACC carpet was formed properly and laid a hellva lot easier without need for steamer. You will need to remove the chrome from the base of shifter and just pull the boot up. In order to relocate the holes under the carpet, I first used an ice pick to find them. Then I heated a nail (held with vice grips) until it was almost red hot and pushed it through the carpet. It left a very clean hole for the screws. Where the shifter goes when you think you have it located, cut an large X in that area. Then you can trim it better and if need still glue down if you went too big. Even though its not cold out now, when you get the carpet you should still allow it to lay for awhile. Preferably outside on concrete in the sun. Also, if your seat bolts do not extend down plenty, you might need to remove padding/mat from the area the seat contacts the floor.

Start in the center and work outward. There is extra that will be cut.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Reaction score
I installed ACC also and it layed out perfectly.
Pull out seats and it will lay out in its shape. The only cutting I did was at the firewall where it went too high and around the shifter (just cut out an x and then cut out what was needed). Once you start it all falls into place.

plumgtx

Reaction score
does anybody have an experience with Trim Parts carpet?? wondering if there better or worse than ACC

4speedin

Reaction score
I just tried to install a new carpet from trim parts and it did not fit well at all so I sent it back. I am trying to decide between ACC and legendary myself.
Thank you much!

plumgtx

Reaction score
i ordered ACC carpet so i will let you know how it fits

plumgtx

Reaction score
my ACC carpet fit great. i would recomend it to anybody for 150$. i did it myself for the first time and i was very pleased. here are pics

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
That looks great. These cars aren't very hard to put together if you just invest a little time. And the help of the members here.

plumgtx

Reaction score
thanks guys. and thaks for all the resto threads that inspire people

4speedin

Reaction score
That looks great! I too went ahead and ordered the ACC and just installed mine today, It came out very nice as well!
The ACC brand was far nicer than the one I tried from trim parts. No comparison!

Back