• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 grill tabs on end are broke off.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
And this is why you should do as much yourself, because hired help is horrible. Shop put my car back together after painting. It's a 71 and the front grill had both tabs on each end intact when I handed it to them and told them to be carful with it that the tabs would break off if not stored correctly. Well something keeps rattling and its the damn grill. Tabs on each end broke off. Not just one but both. Any ideas on how to attach something to the end so it can be secured? I thought maybe just taking piece of sheet metal screw it to the grill and the other end attach to the body of the car. I don't think I can glue something to this. Grill is plastic.

rklein71

Reaction score
Chemically weld it. Get some spare abs black plastic (can be bought on Ebay for a few bucks, or use old grill pieces, or ABS pipe from hardware store). Break those pieces into small bits and dissolve them in acetone in a small lidded jar. Just have to cover the plastic pieces. In a day or so of soaking, stir them up into a goo glue type substance. The acetone plastic mixture will chemically weld the tab together making a very strong repair. Once it dries, you can sand it down.

heminut

Reaction score
The grill in my 70 Cuda is the original, and has been repaired in the past. I didn't trust the body shop with it, so I took it out and stored it while they had it and put it back in myself. The effort was definitely worth the piece of mind knowing some heavy handed shop tech wouldn't be messing with it.

Back