• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72-74 Marker light Bulb change

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Any owners of 72 - 74 Chal - i'm having a heck of a time getting the small bulbs from out of the holders of the front orange side marker lights. Anyone done this recently? Both of them are the same - just won't come out of the plastic holder. One is moving a little, have squirted Inox in there. And am applying so much pressure i don't want to break the bulb in my fingers. Do they push in/pull out or are they push in and turn to lock (bayonet type)? Thanks

burdar

Reaction score
They just push in. There isn't much bulb to get ahold of. Wear safety glasses and grab them with some pliers.

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Are they like the one in the first picture, or the second? First is slide in type, second is bayonet push and turn.

As for using PLIERS - if i can't pull remove it with grippy rubber surgical type gloves using a lot of strength, then using pliers runs a big risk of crushing the bulb and then even MORE difficult to remove the small metal can. That is NOT a sensible suggestion.

Anyone else had this problem?View attachment 10005View attachment 10006

burdar

Reaction score
Your attachement didn't work.

Not a sensible suggestion? There is no metal can. It's all glass. It just pushes in. If the glass breaks, grab the filament and pull.

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
thanks but no. - Pliers?? Not talking about removing a split pin from a ball joint here, its a tiny glass bulb. I don't need any more grip or strength. Have a look at the picture. front side marker light bulbs.jpg. If it breaks i will have to replace the holder as well.

front side marker light bulbs.jpg

70CUDA4SPEED

Reaction score
Hi! I guess your lamp looks like this one, just grap it and draw and twist it right out.
Lampsocket.jpg

Lampsocket.jpg

sfort

Reaction score
What he is saying is to use the pliers around the base not to grab tightly but to close down around the narrower part of the bulb and push against the jaws with your thumb, pushing the bulb out not pulling. There are wire loops on the bulb inside the socket that may have alot of crap wedged in there.

ramenth

Reaction score
thanks but no. - Pliers?? Not talking about removing a split pin from a ball joint here, its a tiny glass bulb. I don't need any more grip or strength. Have a look at the picture.View attachment 10070. If it breaks i will have to replace the holder as well.

You're over thinking this. Just grab ahold of the danged things near the base of the bulbs with a pair of needle nose and pull 'em out.

If they break, oh well, take the needle nose, grab ahold of what's left and pull it out. Blast a little electrical contact cleaner (or battery terminal cleaner) in the sockets, clean 'em out, dielectric grease on the new bulbs to save yourself the trouble later when the news burn out (and they will eventually).

Sockets for a 194 bulb are a dime a dozen (okay a buck ninety-eight apiece) at any good auto supply store. Two wires, one hot, one ground.

Back