• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Challenger Padded Dash

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Will be removing my padded dash this week.Car is getting a complete rewire and new dash.Was wondering how hard the dash is to remove.
Any pointers will be helpful.
Thanks,Tony

burdar

Reaction score
The dash assembly was one part of my restoration that I was dreading. In accuality, it was fairly easy...more time consuming than anything really.

You want to remove the assembly as a complete unit. You can disassemble it on a bench. The installation process is the reverse of the removal. You can completely assemble it on the bench and install it as an assembly.

Once the A-pillar and kick panel trim is removed, dissconnect the main bulkhead connector from the firewall. Remove the wiring from the door switches, high beam switch, e-brake mechanism, console(if equipped) and the blower motor. Also disconnect the radio antenna. If the steering column is still in the car, disconnect the wiring and drop the column. You'll need to remove the two studs that secure the column too. Finally, you can take off the two fresh air cables from the bottom of the dash frame and disconnect the heater control cables from the bezel on the left side of the dash.

There are only 6 fasteners holding the dash assembly in the car. The 4 small bolts at the base of the windshield(inside the car) are inside the defrost slots. The windshield can still be in the car but it's a lot easier with the windshield removed. The only other two bolts are at the kick panels. Just loosen the two side bolts and the dash assembly will rotate back and out.

If your car has A/C there will probably be a few more items that need to be disconnected before the dash assembly can be removed.

Just take your time and restore each componant to the best of your ability. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end.

7-20-11006.jpg

Last edited:

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Well Padded Dash is off. Didn't take any pictures. Didn't need to be reminded of all the sware words lol

btceng

Reaction score
I found that the studs on the column were the worst part of the job. I couldn't seem to get to one of them. Finally, did it 1/4 turn at a time. Mine has a cap over the very cracked original pad. Can't decide at what point I want to spend the $600 to replace the pad. Good luck.

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Mine had the plastic dash cap also. The previous owner siliconed it big time to the dash. I tore it off. Glad i did. Took off the old rotten dash,then the metal dash frame,heater box and took out all the wireing and fuse box.Already had the interior out. All metal was in solid condition to my surprise. Cleaned everyting real good. Bought a gallon of POR-15 and went to town so everything will stay in good condition.
The POR-15 works great. But wear a very good face mask/resporator and good ventalation is a must.
Will try to post pictures of progress in the near future.

btceng

Reaction score
That's where I'm at also. I haven't taken care of the light surface rust that is on the firewall behind the dash but I have some of the Eastwood rust encapsulator that I have used on similar areas. Seems to work well also. Good luck.

Ray

Reaction score
Good info guys. This is a project on my list of things to do.

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Just orderd my dash on Ebay from carolinasuperdash. This lady knows her stuff. She talks Mopar....

Back