• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Power Steering

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I have a 72 challenger with a 383 in it. I converted from manual to power steering. I have had 2 power steering pumps start leaking bad so I replaced them. Now on the new one it worked the first time I drove it and now its like driving in manually and getting winding noise from the belt. Any idea whats going on. Federal style pumps.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like you had two bad pump gaskets and now you may have a bad pump. Where are you getting the pumps?

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
Sounds like you had two bad pump gaskets and now you may have a bad pump. Where are you getting the pumps?

O'Reilly Auto parts. I know the first 2 where from a different manufacture then the third. Its a good thing it is under warranty.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
And easy to change. I had 3 bad water pumps for a van that took a half day each to change. I was so unhappy that the 4th one they gave me at no charge was a new non rebuilt one. It is still working fine. I am guessing your original pump is gone as a core. Time to nicely get in their face about it.

Back