• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 brakes on 71 Challenger

challenger440

Reaction score
I've had some spindles laying around to convert my 71 challenger to disc for some time and am finally getting around to it. when I went to install the wheel seals for my new '71 style rotors, they wouldnt fit. long story short, I found I have '73 spindles and need to get '73 rotors, seals, etc. (Either that or new spindles now to match all my other crap I bought).

Any issue (clearance, steering, etc.) with using the '73 spindles and brake components? I would prefer to keep the '73 spindles and just exchange my expensive '71 to match them.

It doesnt seem like it would be a problem but want to be sure. One things that's nice is that the '73 components are 1/3 the price of the '71! I hope it will work...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the 73 used a larger inner brg & seal , as long as you can return all the 71 parts you will be fine with 73 parts , decide if you are going to mount the calipers in front or rear of the spindle as you will need different calipers & hoses , as I recall I usually mount the cailper in front & use the Raybestos hoses ending in 828

challenger440

Reaction score
The inner seal is definitely bigger but the bearings look the same. My calipers are set to go to the rear of the spindle so I guess I'll leave it that way. Glad everything will still work! Got the return for the 71 rotors approved and will order the 73's. Much cheaper too. Calipers come up as the same too which is a relief. Wont have to return those.

Speedracer3456

Reaction score
I put '73 Volare (A body) discs on my '71 Challenger and they work great, but you will HAVE to mount the calipers in the front. Just requires a switch in sides of the spindles. If you don't, the calipers will hit the shock on every turn. Alignment is not an issue, mine was able to be aligned within specs. E bodies have the calipers in the front regardless of year, if I'm not mistaken.

napaguy

Reaction score
71 brakes

hey i just finished putting discs on my 72 challenger. i bought a set of spindles that were suposed ro be off a 73. the few probs i ran in to. i mounted them in rear, used mostly 73 ebody parts except for inner bearing, used bearing for 72 drum, used 73 charger brake lines with a banjo bolt. brake lines did hit shock bolt, but if you set banjo close to caliper, turn shock bolt around where head is toward line, it will have just enough clearance. i've got the whole list and part numbers if you need them. also i made mine non power brakes. used master cylinder for 73-74 charger with non power discs-drum set up

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
There is a bearing adaptor sleeve to make 70-72 spindles the same as 73 on and it's made by Scarebird, have a look on their website, interesting reading

challenger440

Reaction score
I'm looking for the darn positioner clips for the stock caliper. Any clues? I found some for $35 (!!!) but read I might not even need them....is that right? Seems like they are the only thing holding the pins in place.

Back