• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 Side Cover removal

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
I need to replace the gasket on my A833 side cover, I have read some horror stories about trying to put the cover back on. My question is do I actually need to remove the transmission in order to remove and install the side cover??

Reaction score
I'm 95% positive there isn't enough room to get the cover off in the car because of the length of the shift forks engaging the synchro hubs, depending on the year and type of side cover.
Check the reverse detent plug gasket to make sure it's not leaking as it's down low on the rear in the area of the side cover.
It's best to pull the trans as the side cover reinstall is tricky to work around the shift forks and the reverse linkage as well, always nice to have the trans laying down so the cover is up, and mark the location of the 2 cover alignment bolts as well before you remove the cover.

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
I'm 95% positive there isn't enough room to get the cover off in the car because of the length of the shift forks engaging the synchro hubs, depending on the year and type of side cover.
Check the reverse detent plug gasket to make sure it's not leaking as it's down low on the rear in the area of the side cover.
It's best to pull the trans as the side cover reinstall is tricky to work around the shift forks and the reverse linkage as well, always nice to have the trans laying down so the cover is up, and mark the location of the 2 cover alignment bolts as well before you remove the cover.

thank you

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes you can do it in car but not easily , if it has the lever style side cover it is much harder to do that the earlier ball detent type of cover used before 70 , it is possible to tell the difference before removing it , most 70 & newer use the lever type cover & the cover has to be installed with the levers in the cover , the earlier detent type the levers can be in the trans first .
The side cover uses shoulder bolts in 8 - 10 holes but in the 3 o clock position it uses a double deep shoulder bolt , this aligns the cover properly with the case this can Only go in the one position , the last 2 bolts are longer where the cover is raised around the reverse area .
As above make sure the leak is not elsewhere , it is unusual for the side cover to leak unless the gasket was damaged when it was installed . let us know if you need help .

Back