• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR Cuda question

joes68340s

Reaction score
I have an AAR Cuda I bought a few years ago. Its a nice driver not numbers matching missing the original 727 and engine. I didn't care because I wanted a driver it looks great but not perfect. I am now putting a 410 stroker in. My question is prices are going up so I am watching that and I am repairing and replacing things as needed. I have been wondering if I should try to locate a correct Six Pack motor or not. Prices are going crazy on complete to semi complete motor. I'm not sure I never plan to do a complete restoration just going to drive it take out to the drags a couple times a year.

taxspeaker

Reaction score
Joe
I think a correct 340-6 would help the resale value, but not as much as you would have to spend for the engine. I have a numbers matching AAR (Alpine white) that I am going to sell in a few weeks and while investigating prices the numbers matching cars are going nuts in prices, while the AAR bodies without numbers matching are 35-40% of the first price. I would personally build it the way you want it rather than spend the bucks to find a correct 340-6, but that's just one guys opinion.

joes68340s

Reaction score
I think I will stick to my plan. And just drive it that's why I bought it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Good plan. The only way it would make sense to do it is if you found a warranty engine with no vin stamped on it and even then it's hard to say if you'd pay yourself back that investment upon selling.

Reaction score
To me if you do not have the original engine and transmission, for what ever reason, it will not be "correct". Not worth a whole bucket of money to make it close. Were you asking about the block and heads, or just about the 6bbl intake setup?

Avalanche

Reaction score
If your worried about what it would be worth, and you want to install a stroker in it, then it might be best to just sell the AAR and buy a base 70 Barracuda and install the stroker in that. The AAR is still worth a good amount even without the original motor. The barracuda will be much less than the AAR and be more cost effective. In the end the AAR will not increase much in value with the stroker. And the barracuda will increase more and cost much less than the AAR, giving you much more money to spend.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
He already has a Cuda, AAR or whatever. Why sell it to have to buy another car to build when neither are going to have the original engine anyways???

Reaction score
Right or wrong, like it or no, I think most would agree that starting with a common 318 Barracuda provides freedoms of personal expression that a more "valuable" platform stifles. At least it does for me. I agree that he already has a non-numbers matching car, do what he wants(within reason). While they are not "rare", in 1970 Plymouth made the limited edition AAR's at nearly the same rate as the base 383 'cuda, OR all lines of the Barracuda convertibles. One problem with the A-12, Lil Red, T/A, AAR, Superbird, Daytona, or any other package cars etc... it seems very difficult to customize them for the better. Particularly if he is planning to race the car at the dragstrip, ever bit of TransAm essence works against it. The unbiased rear springs and rear swaybar are an example. I have seen a couple of them at the drags back in the day, wouldn't be my recommendation. With an AAR without the 6bbl set-up, I would at least like to see the hood scoop functional with some combination of an oval baseplate.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Reaction score
He already has a Cuda, AAR or whatever. Why sell it to have to buy another car to build when neither are going to have the original engine anyways???

All I'm saying is a AAR even without its original drivetrain is still worth a hell of a lot more than a 318 barracuda. This will open a lot of extra cash to invest in the 318.

Back