• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket (AMD) quarter panel installation adjustment

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm currently restoring a 70challenger.
We are proceeding with the restoration mainly on the rear part, but I have a question for you all.
As shown in the photo, there is an approximately 3/16 height difference between the left quarter panel and trunk lid panel.
The quarter panel is made by AMD, and the trunk lid panel is the existing original one.
The curved line on the right quarter panel is the same as the trunk lid panel.
The left quarter panel has not yet been fixed by welding.
In this case, how should I process it to match the curve?
There is a way to adjust the gap of the trunk lid panel and quarter panel on YouTube, but there is no way to adjust the height, so I am asking for advice here.

thank you for reading it until the very end!

20231231_151921.jpg

20231231_151855.jpg

20231231_151537.jpg

motoman172

Reaction score
Hello!
We are proceeding with the restoration mainly on the rear part, but I have a question for you all.
As shown in the photo, there is an approximately 3/16 height difference between the left quarter panel and trunk lid panel.
The quarter panel is made by AMD, and the trunk lid panel is the existing original one.
There is a way to adjust the gap of the trunk lid panel and quarter panel on YouTube, but there is no way to adjust the height, so I am asking for advice here.

View attachment 118926

View attachment 118928

View attachment 118929
I can't see the back of the trunk by the deck lid but I am wondering if the adjustment is in the hinge area? If not you may have to shim along the quarter along the drip rail

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Hello!

View attachment 118926

View attachment 118928

View attachment 118929
My simple response is also the most impossible. I could just stop by and we would review the problem together, except your in Japan! I am a retired career body and frame tech. typically when faced with a like situation the short answer is try to lower the deck lid and raise the qtr. panel. But it is not as easy as that and my questions are many. One, has the position of the hinge mount position been changed this can happen when the inner wheelhouse or the package tray has been replaced. Two, is the hinge bent? is the mounting surface of the deck lid bent? Three, Lift the qtr. panel into position from below then attach the inner lip of the qtr. to the trunk gutter with sheet metal screws then check fitment. Four, the AMD panels were not manufactured to a high degree of quality this greatly increases the level of skill required for installation. I will try to help you if I can. but you may consider hiring local talent if possible as this needs the hands and eyes of experience

cuda joe

Reaction score
how does the quarter and trunk lid line up at the panel below the back glass and the end by the taillights ? also i hope all the weight is on the suspension .is the gutter attached to the quarter ? how is the door gap ?

Xcudame

Reaction score
I agree with Rich, AMD panels are the best out there, but even they recommend expert installation. It's a unibody vehicle and weight and twisting are huge factors. That's why you see guys welding in temporary braces (angle iron, square tubing, etc.) before they start taking off body panels.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I can't see the back of the trunk by the deck lid but I am wondering if the adjustment is in the hinge area? If not you may have to shim along the quarter along the drip rail
Hello!
thank you for the advice!
The current state of the car is that the deck filler panel, trunk gutters, taillamp panel, trunk lock retainers, and trunkpan extension attached to the quarter panel are fixed with screws.
This photo shows the rear of the trunk lid and the taillamp panel lines.
The height of the trunk lid and the center of the quarter panel are just off.

20231231_151528.jpg

20231231_151537.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the trunk lid is lined up nicely with the filler (Dutchman) panel, and the 1/4 by the tail panel. So the center of the 1/4 along the trunk lid needs to come up a little. Try a small block of wood, and a jack, in the low spot to see if you can gain a little height. Use small increments until it matches the trunk

If you raise the whole 1/4 you would also have to raise the tail panel and filler panel, and that would be a lot more work.

Post more pics please.

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
i agree with adam looks like the deck lid is high just in the middle is that so ? if the gutter is screwed on take the screws out before you jack it up maybe i don;t know if the gutters are new or not or are pushed down measure the height of the gutter to the top of the quarter compare to other side you will need room for the weatherstripping i like to have that installed while making adjustments

RYO5566

Reaction score
My simple response is also the most impossible. I could just stop by and we would review the problem together, except your in Japan! I am a retired career body and frame tech. typically when faced with a like situation the short answer is try to lower the deck lid and raise the qtr. panel. But it is not as easy as that and my questions are many. One, has the position of the hinge mount position been changed this can happen when the inner wheelhouse or the package tray has been replaced. Two, is the hinge bent? is the mounting surface of the deck lid bent? Three, Lift the qtr. panel into position from below then attach the inner lip of the qtr. to the trunk gutter with sheet metal screws then check fitment. Four, the AMD panels were not manufactured to a high degree of quality this greatly increases the level of skill required for installation. I will try to help you if I can. but you may consider hiring local talent if possible as this needs the hands and eyes of experience
It would be reassuring to get advice from an expert!
As mentioned in the previous person's reply, the parts related to the quarter panel (deck filler panel, trunk gutters, taillamp panel, trunk lock retainers, trunkpan extension, all made by AMD) are temporarily attached with screws, and each part needs to be adjusted. I am.
In addition to the above parts, the inner and outer wheel houses are also AMD.
The trunk lid is original.
When you move the trunk lid down, the high part will be level with the trunk lid panel, but the rear part will sink below the quarter panel.
In other words, the lines of the left quarter panel and trunk lid panel are different.
The lines on the right quarter panel match the trunk lid panel.
The trunk lid latch has also been adjusted to match the overall fit.
I had the impression that AMD had good quality, but the accuracy of the parts was certainly not very good!
Are there better body panel manufacturers than AMD?

RYO5566

Reaction score
how does the quarter and trunk lid line up at the panel below the back glass and the end by the taillights ? also i hope all the weight is on the suspension .is the gutter attached to the quarter ? how is the door gap ?
The deck filler panel, trunk gutters, taillamp panel, trunk lock retainers, and trunkpan extension are secured with screws to match all lines.
If you match the height of the rear of the trunk lid and the rear of the left quarter panel, the center of the quarter panel will sink as shown in the photo.
The body is on the ground with the chassis attached, and the trunk gutter is also temporarily fixed to the tail lamp panel and quarter panel with screws!
The gap with the door is about the same on both sides.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I agree with Rich, AMD panels are the best out there, but even they recommend expert installation. It's a unibody vehicle and weight and twisting are huge factors. That's why you see guys welding in temporary braces (angle iron, square tubing, etc.) before they start taking off body panels.
When removing the body panels, I did not add reinforcements such as pipes, but I was careful not to apply stress while working.

RYO5566

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the trunk lid is lined up nicely with the filler (Dutchman) panel, and the 1/4 by the tail panel. So the center of the 1/4 along the trunk lid needs to come up a little. Try a small block of wood, and a jack, in the low spot to see if you can gain a little height. Use small increments until it matches the trunk

If you raise the whole 1/4 you would also have to raise the tail panel and filler panel, and that would be a lot more work.

Post more pics please.
All body panels, except the trunk lid panel, are made by AMD and have all been replaced.
The front of the trunk lid panel is attached almost horizontally to the deck filler panel and the front of the quarter panel, and the rear of the quarter panel is attached horizontally to the rear of the trunk lid panel. In this state, the center of the quarter panel will be lower in height than the trunk lid panel.
The heights of the tail lamp panel and deck filler panel are equal on the left and right, so I don't want to change them, but I would like to raise only the center of the quarter panel by about 3/16.
While fixing the quarter panel to the tail lamp panel and deck filler panel with screws, try pushing it up with a wooden block and a jack!
I will add photos later!
Thank you for teaching me so carefully!

Adam

Reaction score
I like AMD very much, but they usually need some massaging. If you need to, you could make a couple of relief cuts through the trunk channel, jack it up until it stays in place, and mig weld the cuts closed. Easy to grind and the area will be covered by the trunk weatherstrip.

RYO5566

Reaction score
i agree with adam looks like the deck lid is high just in the middle is that so ? if the gutter is screwed on take the screws out before you jack it up maybe i don;t know if the gutters are new or not or are pushed down measure the height of the gutter to the top of the quarter compare to other side you will need room for the weatherstripping i like to have that installed while making adjustments
Currently, the quarter panel and trunk gutter are fixed with screws, but the situation does not change even if you remove the trunk gutter and reattach the trunk lid panel, so I don't think the trunk gutter has any effect.
The heights of the trunk gutter, deck filler panel, and tail lamp panel are measured evenly on both sides and temporarily attached with screws.
Regarding the weather stripping, the new one is so thick that I can't close the trunk lid completely, but will it fit in if I press it down?

RYO5566

Reaction score
I like AMD very much, but they usually need some massaging. If you need to, you could make a couple of relief cuts through the trunk channel, jack it up until it stays in place, and mig weld the cuts closed. Easy to grind and the area will be covered by the trunk weatherstrip.
Thank you for the accurate advice!
Since some parts are low in height, I thought it would be a great idea to cut a cut in the panel and jack it up from the bottom!
Thank you for your help as I was very worried!
In addition to AMD, there are body manufacturers such as Sherman, Good Mark, and Dynacorn, but how accurate are they?

cuda joe

Reaction score
new gaskets are always harder to get fitted you can put a dollar bill on the gasket and close the trunk then pull the dollar out .it needs some resistance but not to much .if it;s to much you need to make it looser

RYO5566

Reaction score
new gaskets are always harder to get fitted you can put a dollar bill on the gasket and close the trunk then pull the dollar out .it needs some resistance but not to much .if it;s to much you need

new gaskets are always harder to get fitted you can put a dollar bill on the gasket and close the trunk then pull the dollar out .it needs some resistance but not to much .if it;s to much you need to make it looser
The new gasket is made by AMD, but it is thick and causes the trunk lid to float.
The old gasket has the same shape but is much thinner, probably because it has been crushed for many years.
You need a gap between 1 dollar bills!
Thank you for your kindness!

Adam

Reaction score
Thank you for the accurate advice!
Since some parts are low in height, I thought it would be a great idea to cut a cut in the panel and jack it up from the bottom!
Thank you for your help as I was very worried!
In addition to AMD, there are body manufacturers such as Sherman, Good Mark, and Dynacorn, but how accurate are they?
In my opinion… and I have used all of these, except Dynacorn: Sherman is terrible, Goodmark is a little better, but best used for patch panels; and I haven’t seen Dynacorn in person except at their exhibit.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
It would be reassuring to get advice from an expert!
As mentioned in the previous person's reply, the parts related to the quarter panel (deck filler panel, trunk gutters, taillamp panel, trunk lock retainers, trunkpan extension, all made by AMD) are temporarily attached with screws, and each part needs to be adjusted. I am.
In addition to the above parts, the inner and outer wheel houses are also AMD.
The trunk lid is original.
When you move the trunk lid down, the high part will be level with the trunk lid panel, but the rear part will sink below the quarter panel.
In other words, the lines of the left quarter panel and trunk lid panel are different.
The lines on the right quarter panel match the trunk lid panel.
The trunk lid latch has also been adjusted to match the overall fit.
I had the impression that AMD had good quality, but the accuracy of the parts was certainly not very good!
Are there better body panel manufacturers than AMD?
I have no experience with Dynacorn quarter panels but. I returned the AMD trunk floor extensions and replaced them with Dynacorn units they are of higher quality and include components not found on the AMD units. I also used the Dynacorn trunk floor and also found it to be of higher quality. Now back to your problem fit other than trying to raise the edge from below. in my shop we might have tried to reshape the panel to fit with a sheet metal shrinker by bowing the panel. All that aside I will you how I solved my fitment issues. when we received our project the upper qtr. panels were still on the car. I removed them and saved them little did I know that I would end up repairing and reusing them I cut the full AMD qtrs. in half at the sharp body line only using the lower part. this was not an easy decision But this solved problems with fit at the qtr. window, rear window, rear body panel, and wheelhouse. unfortunately this forces me to produce an open weld the full length of the panel and that is something I had hoped to avoid.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I have no experience with Dynacorn quarter panels but. I returned the AMD trunk floor extensions and replaced them with Dynacorn units they are of higher quality and include components not found on the AMD units. I also used the Dynacorn trunk floor and also found it to be of higher quality. Now back to your problem fit other than trying to raise the edge from below. in my shop we might have tried to reshape the panel to fit with a sheet metal shrinker by bowing the panel. All that aside I will you how I solved my fitment issues. when we received our project the upper qtr. panels were still on the car. I removed them and saved them little did I know that I would end up repairing and reusing them I cut the full AMD qtrs. in half at the sharp body line only using the lower part. this was not an easy decision But this solved problems with fit at the qtr. window, rear window, rear body panel, and wheelhouse. unfortunately this forces me to produce an open weld the full length of the panel and that is something I had hoped to avoid.

Thank you for your kind advice!
Dynacorn is also a high quality body panel!
I was disappointed that I couldn't choose when I ordered the parts at Summit.
As you advised, the Japanese expert who looked at the condition of my car also told me not to use the whole panel, just the corroded part!
After all, it's best to keep as much of the original parts as possible when repairing!

Back