• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aluminum Radiator Opinions

440rush

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm considering an aluminum radiator on a 73 Cuda. It has a 68 440 in it now with a 26" stock radiator. Which brand is best as far as fit, value and durability. I'd like to use the stock shroud I have now. I've heard about complaints about fit and other problems about Champion. Who would you recommend ? Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Keep in mind any Alum rad should be isolated from the body with rubber mounts , alum will not withstand flexing like brass will .
A friend has a double bypass Nascar rad in his chall & after 2 years it cracked & could not be saved & it was not a cheap rad , Glen Ray will build you a very efficient brass rad if you prefer

michael

Reaction score
I installed a griffin radiator on my 71 challenger a few years ago. Bolted up to factory holes no Mickey mouse fits all brackets factory shroud fits perfectly. American made.

440rush

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into Cold Case & Griffin or maybe Glenn Ray too. Thanks for the information about using rubber insulation to prevent any damage Chryco Psyco.

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
Just wanted to weigh in on the issue of ruggedness of aluminum vs copper/brass. Although aluminum is much lighter, it actually can absorb more shock than a copper brass radiator. ie; it can flex more. Any crack that happens in a radiator because of being shocked by something like a pothole or similar would indicate that the radiator already had a weak spot from a poor weld or construction issue. Good example.... We sponsor a 9 second Pontiac Trans Am race car. The driver did a full on the bumper wheel stand, panic'd, didn't ride it out and slammed the front end quite abruptly. Pieces of the car were all over the track. The entire front end was damaged, fenders, hood, suspension parts etc. However the Cold Case Radiator was bolted directly to the radiator support and was undamaged and is still in his rebuilt car. That being said, adding some type of insulation to lessen shock is not a bad precaution.

Also, that is not to say that the GlenRay rebuild or even keeping the original 3 row radiator wouldn't be good choices for many owners. It's all a matter of the situation.

Back