• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AMD Door Skin Problem

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Looks like loads of fun.....not. Turned out good. Did you use any special tools? I know they make tools to remove and install skins but from what I hear they are not a necessity.

Btw, AMD is not making the inside bottom patch panel if your lower door has rust in it. I got one for my passenger side door and it looks like its going to fit well. Although, I will probably only use the end pieces of it.
I had the exact same issue with passenger door. The AMD lower door patch was tougher than I imagined. I originally dustless blasted the entire car. My door were in very bad shape. I just ground off the edges and removed outer skins. Pretty easy. After I completed lower patch, I applied white epoxy primer on both sides of door core and then on inside of door skins, then painted with sassy grass green & clear coat. I added sound deadening to inside skin. Putting skins back on was made a lot easier with an Eastwood door skin crimping tool. It costs $70, but worth the money especially if you have two doors to complete. It leaves crimping marks on inside of door ( you can see on my pictures). If you decide to use tool, be careful of denting the outer skins. You apply a lot of pressure on tool. I used a metal strip backup for nylon tools side on outer side to avoid this.

Rayzor

Reaction score
i have to replace both door skins on a 70 cuda, just wondering how it went with the panel adhesive. What type of adhesive, applied on just one side or both sides of the door lip and having done it that way, would you install a door skin the same way or would you plug weld it the next time?

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
i have to replace both door skins on a 70 cuda, just wondering how it went with the panel adhesive. What type of adhesive, applied on just one side or both sides of the door lip and having done it that way, would you install a door skin the same way or would you plug weld it the next time?
Sorry for misunderstanding. But is plug welded in the door skins and didn't use adhesives. I used epoxy paint to seal against future rust on the insides. I crimped using the Eastwood crimping tool. You don't need many plug welds 2 each on sides and 3 on bottom. When crimped to door it is very secure. Again - If you decide to use tool, be careful of denting the outer skins. You apply a lot of pressure on tool. I used a metal strip ( I used my cooper welding plate) backup for nylon tools side on outer side to avoid this.

Back