• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anniversary of Vanishing Point (March 13, 1971)

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Tomorrow, March 13th, is the 50th anniversary of the release of Vanishing Point. My cousin hosts a podcast for "all things retro" on his site, RetroZest.com, and asked me to join him to celebrate the movie's anniversary. We discuss the movie and the 1970 Challenger R/T which "stars" with Kowalski in his multi-state evasion of the police.

*pardon me for saying the car used in the finale is a 1968 Camaro versus a 1967. I knew that but said otherwise. LOL

SPOILER ALERT: Watch the entire movie before listening to the podcast. Vanishing Point Full Movie

Enjoy!
EP049

RetroZest Vanishing Point.png

Last edited:

Reaction score
I remember going to the theatre in 71 to catch the movie. Kitty corner to the theatre was the local Dodge dealer, with a Challenger in the show room window.
The theatre was on the main car cruise circuit back in the day, it was cool to see the movie and then come outside to watch those cars cruising by.

JunkYardFind

Reaction score
If you want to see the chase scenes only, cut in 1080p HD, check it out here on our site....
It does show the ending so spoiler alert! Of course we included the biker girl scene also
:)

JunkYardFind.com

We have the LARGEST movie car chase scene collection on the internet! ALL cut 1080p HD! Enjoy

tonysrt

Reaction score
Sometimes the beginning of a movie can mislead you. This was a b movie to the main attraction. I don't remember what the main movie was. We were at a Drive-in with another couple and we had no idea about this movie so we left after watching the Chrysler running through the desert which looked pretty boring. I probably didn't get to watch it till the mid 80's when it was on cable. I now have it on VHS and CD.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Sometimes the beginning of a movie can mislead you. This was a b movie to the main attraction. I don't remember what the main movie was. We were at a Drive-in with another couple and we had no idea about this movie so we left after watching the Chrysler running through the desert which looked pretty boring. I probably didn't get to watch it till the mid 80's when it was on cable. I now have it on VHS and CD.

Yes, the double-feature was "The French Connection" and "Vanishing Point". Serious car chase sequence with Gene Hackman in "The French Connection".

fasjac

Reaction score
Tomorrow, March 13th, is the 50th anniversary of the release of Vanishing Point. My cousin hosts a podcast for "all things retro" on his site, RetroZest.com, and asked me to join him to celebrate the movie's anniversary. We discuss the movie and the 1970 Challenger R/T which "stars" with Kowalski in his multi-state evasion of the police.

*pardon me for saying the car used in the finale is a 1968 Camaro versus a 1967. I knew that but said otherwise. LOL

SPOILER ALERT: Watch the entire movie before listening to the podcast. Vanishing Point Full Movie

Enjoy!
EP049

View attachment 81032
Nice upload!

BuckeyeCuda

Reaction score
Thanks. I think this is the first time I have seen it straight-through, without interruptions. It has been many years, and I forgot a lot of the sub-plots.

Lots of nice C-boy Dodges and B-body Plymouth Highway Pursuit cars...

moparman31

Reaction score
I have posted here a picture of the marque of the Centre Theater in Denver were the World Premier was held. Bob Palmer (his real name) was a local news man for Channel 7 at the time and had a cameo from Denargo Market were the whole thing started with Kowalski and Sandy. That area is now gone do to gentrifying. When Kowalski left Denargo Market he headed south on the 19th St Bridge with the crisscross iron work that can be seen as Barry Newman drives the Challenger. From the bridge he headed thru downtown Denver and south on Colorado Blvd passing Colorado Dodge Celebrity Sports Center a huge indoor sports facility then owned by Walt Disney. Kowalski then headed north on the Valley Highway now I25 and west on the new I70. Where the cop gets flipped off the motorcycle is where I70 then ended at Genessee Park. Blasting had to be done for the continuation of I70 when the Colorado Dept of Transportation blew a highway thru a mountain.

Last edited:

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Now with this anniversary there will be 1 or 2 maybe even more of the movie cars showing up as long lost hidden away forgotten relics. The asking price will be astronomical. Kim. Oh ya I forgot to add that my uncles cousin’s brother in laws X wife’s brother has the original car. It never really got destroyed.

Back