• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best modern standard trans for old school 383 Magnum

Rickuda

Reaction score
I'm an old school cuda guy with a '70 Barracuda and trying to decide on a transmission. My car is a Gran Coupe 318 cu in auto trans. I'd like to go back with a tunnel rammed 2x4 383 magnum but I want to run a 4:88 to 5:13 gear in a Dana 60 but I don't want my top speed to suffer. Looking for some good options. This car will just be a toy. Everytime I drive it I will be driving it like I stole it, abusing it in every way.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
or bolt & Gear Vendor OD to the rear of the A833
Or Passion has a wide ratio 833 with OD or the 855 5 spd but good luck getting the 855 !

NoCar340

Reaction score
A friend has a TKO600 in his stock-appearing '71 Charger R/T, and he absolutely loves it.

That being said, they don't like hard, high-RPM dragstrip launches with good traction. Lots of tales around the internets of guys breaking Tremecs in their high-horsepower street cars at the strip, usually with slicks installed. As far as modern transmissions go, though, they're really the only game in town.

I built a wide-ratio A833OD for my Challenger, using a non-OD iron case and fixed countershaft for maximum strength. It's certainly no 18-spline, but I don't expect any issues with occasional abuse behind 340 Six Pack with street tires, either. It'll probably only go to the strip once, run straight off the 125-mile drive to the nearest quarter (no tire change, uncorked exhaust, etc.).

My "strip" beater runs an early A-body gearset, which is the same as a B-body close-ratio except first gear is a 3.09:1 ratio instead of 2.66:1. With 4.10s out back, it's the equivalent of a 4.76 ratio in first with the 2.66 first (~5.13s with the later 2.45 first, or a 727). On 25"-tall drag radials, first gear is done quickly. 😁 It still sings at highway speeds, but that's not a concern with that car.

Back