• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best plact to buy crate motor

Avalanche

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a crate 440 in my challenger.
There's no one around me to rebuild the existing one in car now, so I plan on getting a short block and adding my components to it.
And good recommendations?
Thanks

Bobzilla

Reaction score
I'm looking to put a crate 440 in my challenger.
There's no one around me to rebuild the existing one in car now, so I plan on getting a short block and adding my components to it.
And good recommendations?
Thanks
Don’t just shop for crate engines. Find a really good machine shop in your area or within reasonable driving distance and have them give you an estimate based on your goals.
“Crate Engine” is just a term people use. A crappy shop will build a crappy engine, no matter what term we use.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Don’t just shop for crate engines. Find a really good machine shop in your area or within reasonable driving distance and have them give you an estimate based on your goals.

Even a 3-hour drive (one-way) will be worth the peace of mind knowing you're dealing with someone who will build it how you want, and can seek help resolving any issues that come up.

Most of your planning can be done over the phone, and you need only drive out there to drop the engine off, and a month or two later, pick it up rebuilt.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I tried to find a good machine shop in my area and didn't have any luck. The one I did get only does race engines and not interested in street engine. Others mostly do Chevy or ford's. Hard to find someone who will refer a good mopar guy.
I started looking at short blocks, and add the rest to it.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I can respect your position. I, too, would want a recommendation from someone I know and respect before plunking down the cash. Where are you located? I'm guessing M.A. doesn't refer to Massachusetts?

Avalanche

Reaction score
I can respect your position. I, too, would want a recommendation from someone I know and respect before plunking down the cash. Where are you located? I'm guessing M.A. doesn't refer to Massachusetts?
Yes massachusetts. Didn't realize my location was labeled as M.A. not MA.
Will.fix it

pschlosser

Reaction score
Give it a little time. Maybe another member can make a recommendation to you. Springfield to Boston is only a 90-minute drive. :)

Last edited:

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Another thing to consider if you only want a short block done. You can have it built in another state and have it shipped. That wouldn't
cost much. I think there is a couple members on the Abodies site that have machine shops. You might want to post over there as well.

gzig5

Reaction score
I would (and did for my area) put a post in the regional section on FABO asking for engine builder references in your area. If you are willing to drive a couple hours I am sure you will find someone.

link to FABO NE regional forum section
North East

340challconvert

Reaction score
Avalanche
I struggled trying to find a good machine shop for my 340 in New Jersey
Ironically, a relative of my sister in law owns/works in an old time machine shop that I was not aware of.
They build a lot of hi po motors including Mopars and also performance boat racing engines.
They have done work for me at REASONABLE PRICES.
The place reminded me of the old time shops I used to frequent in my younger days as a mechanic.
I know it would be a 3 hour drive for you but could be worth checking out.
Rogers Speed Shop in Garwood NJ
Phil

https://www.facebook.com/people/Rogers-Speed-Shop/100057085764997/

340challconvert

Reaction score
A pic of one of their Mopar rebuilds

1680961578043.jpeg

and more

rogers machine shop garwood new jersey - Google Search

Back