• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big block intake gasket...

i_taz

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether to use gaskets or not on the valley pan of a 440 ?
I found mine currently doesn't but looks it would've been a good idea....

Last edited:

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 440 and have about 900 miles on it so far. I did not use any gaskets with the valley pan just sealer. So far I don't have any leaks and the big block idles perfect and runs great. I know people have used the gaskets and got great results also. My engine was all original as far as I know and when I tore it down it didn't have any gaskets on it. Maybe if your heads and block have had some machine work done it would be a good idea. Just courious on why you think it would be a good idea also? This is just what I did and my two cents!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I use the gaskets between the pan & head to seal the oil away from the intake ports , Ijust use sealer between the pan & intake

i_taz

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 440 and have about 900 miles on it so far. I did not use any gaskets with the valley pan just sealer. So far I don't have any leaks and the big block idles perfect and runs great. I know people have used the gaskets and got great results also. My engine was all original as far as I know and when I tore it down it didn't have any gaskets on it. Maybe if your heads and block have had some machine work done it would be a good idea. Just courious on why you think it would be a good idea also? This is just what I did and my two cents!

I was curious if the factory valley pan was just sealed. Mine isn't factory though, it was a RTV job at some point. To make a long story short my vacuum was below 10 so I decided to replace the intake gasket with the fel-pro 1215 to block the crossover while I was at it and both heads are a mess. Oil everywhere and crud on the valve stems. I was thinking what Chryco mentioned, just needing the one under the pan to seal the head. Sandwiching all 3 together is a little too thick looking...

Rapidfire

Reaction score
That makes good sense what Chryco said! I would go with that and it should solve your problem. My 440 is a mild built engine with a stock bump stick.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Dam, I have never once used sealer on intake gaskets. My thought is if u need some kind of sealer then u have done kind of problem. Kim

i_taz

Reaction score
I don't think the gaskets are the problem as much as the bolts but I had no indication that the oil was
wicking up the threads until I took the intake off. The clown I bought it off of, from Joe Namath's hometown, certainly knew because he changed the plugs right before I picked the car up, but that's nothing new is it...? Other than an overwhelming exhaust smell I was blaming on the Edelbrock Performer carb the car ran ok. The black RTV that was used did nothing to stop the intrusion of the oil into the heads and was doing it for awhile by the looks of the valve stems. The Permashield seems like it would be ideal since it's the only one that specifically states it's fuel resistant but it's not really a sealant so don't know if it would be of any value on metal to metal. Maybe all that is needed is a thread sealant...

Back