• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake line positioning?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I will be purchasing a complete set of steel brake lines for my 71 Challenger in the near future. I will also be installing factory front disc brakes placing the calipers towards the front. There have been questions on this and other forums regarding positioning the front steel brake lines either over of under the front frame rails. Because I'm doing the disc brake conversion (using factory Mopar parts), what is recommended for steel line positioning? I assume this has something to do with caliper rubber brake hose routing? What is recommended for my application? Also, I was looking at Inline Tube for purchasing the steel lines. Had good luck with their transmission lines. Any recommendations on a vendor?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Adam

Reaction score
081B5D30-082F-47EF-B59B-B88A1F04BF95.jpeg
37499D08-3C46-4EC1-82B5-FF791EF9DC69.jpeg
I used stainless lines from “Fine Lines” for my Challenger. I bought them directly from them at the “Mopars at the Strip” car show in Vegas. They fit great and no leaks. I would not hesitate to use “Inline Tube” either.

As far as routing goes, I believe they will line up very well with the factory position, and it would be hard to change the position of the stainless lines as they are bent specifically to go around the frame rail. In this mock up pic you can see the front mounted caliper, and the armored line pre-bent around the frame rail. I also included a pic of the confusing lines from the proportioning valve. Disregard the hydraulic clutch.

Last edited:

Old B5

Reaction score
I think the lines went under the frame on 70's and over on 71-74. I have used Inline Tube and Right Stuff Detailing. I would definitely recommend Inline Tube, and would never recommend Right Stuff for anything.

Rich G.

Reaction score
My 73 wraps under the frame rail and connects to the bottom of the hose bracket.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
View attachment 70327 View attachment 70328 I used stainless lines from “Fine Lines” for my Challenger. I bought them directly from them at the “Mopars at the Strip” car show in Vegas. They fit great and no leaks. I would not hesitate to use “Inline Tube” either.

As far as routing goes, I believe they will line up very well with the factory position, and it would be hard to change the position of the stainless lines as they are bent specifically to go around the frame rail. In this mock up pic you can see the front mounted caliper, and the armored line pre-bent around the frame rail. I also included a pic of the confusing lines from the proportioning valve. Disregard the hydraulic clutch.

Hi Adam, Old B5, and Rich G.
Thanks for the reply's and pictures. Since I am converting the car to front disc brakes, I plan on ordering steel lines from Inline Tube. There seem to be an ongoing debate on what Mopar did for positioning the front brake lines either over or under the frame rails? Not sure why at this point but I'll eventually find out. I'll order the brake line kit stating the car already has disc brakes. I already purchased an original disc brake master cylinder and proportioning valve, so I hope the area of the car will be a non-issue. Thanks again for the help and stay safe.

Best Regards,

Tirekickertoo

Back