• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake pedal stays down won't fully return

toomanycars

Reaction score
I'm working on the 73 Cuda and the Brake pedal stays partially down and won't fully return. The brakes work great and the pedal is solid but I have to pull the pedal up the last inch or so for the brakes to release otherwise the wheels stay locked. I've tried 2 master cylinders and tried adjusting the push rod but no luck. The car has new hoses calipers and pads. The only thing I haven't changed is the vac booster but I did try it with the vac line disconnected and it didn;t make a difference. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

cuda joe

Reaction score
I looked underneath the dash and saw the brake pedal arm contact the brake light switch and i can still pull it the pedal back about an inch ..and i don;t have a problem with the brakes locking up have you tried making the rod shorter ? mine is a manual front disc brakes

toomanycars

Reaction score
Yes I did try shortening it, I had it back about 1/4 inch but they still lock. I'm going to pull the booster I guess, I never had to mess with those before.

cuda joe

Reaction score
it sounds like a weird problem ..do you have a disc brak mc one large one small resavoir ?

cuda joe

Reaction score
I would pull the booster too i don;t think a proportioning valve would do that. good luck

Quiny

Reaction score
Are the rear brakes drum or have they been converted to disc? Also did they used to be OK or did this problem just start, was any work done before it happened? If they are drum brakes there is a check valve incorporated into the master cylinder. If you have calipers you don't want that check valve there. There is also the possibility that you have a master cylinder for a 4 wheel drum brake setup. Good luck, strange problem.

toomanycars

Reaction score
It is an original disk front and drum back car. The car had been sitting for many years and the brakes didn't work so I did lines, calipers, pads, master and rear cylinders. The master has a large and small reservoir so it should be good.
Maybe I need to hit it with "Illudium PU-36. (only you will get that)

Quiny

Reaction score
It is an original disk front and drum back car. The car had been sitting for many years and the brakes didn't work so I did lines, calipers, pads, master and rear cylinders. The master has a large and small reservoir so it should be good.
Maybe I need to hit it with "Illudium PU-36. (only you will get that)
I dont think an explosive space modulator will help

Quiny

Reaction score
Seems like the best option most days.
Another thing to try that is free is to remove the vacuum check valve, as well as hold vacuum in the booster when the engine stalls it also allows relieves excess vacuum to equalize both sides of the diaphragm when the pedal is released. It could be slow.

cuda joe

Reaction score
is it the front or rear wheels locking up or both ?

cuda joe

Reaction score
when you put in the new brake lines could the back and front lines be switched on the mc stuff happens once i connected the fuel line to the carb vent took awile to figure out why it flooded all over the place

340 Slapstick

Reaction score
I had an old Panhead Harley (don't stop reading) and the rear brake was locking up. turned out to be the brake hose was deteriorated and not flowing correctly. I replaced the brake hose and that fixed it. Just from what I read here, and I may have missed something)-maybe your brakes can be depressed but not enough pressure to bring the fluid back so the pedal stays down.

toomanycars

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise! I think I got it. I pulled the booster and master, went over all the moving parts for the pedal and now it's coming back up like it should. Must have been binding somewhere.

cuda joe

Reaction score
great I;m happy you got it .like your name thats what my wife says

Back