• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Burned/failed column mounted ignition switch Molex connectors explained.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
A common factory failure point/weak spot for these cars ’70 and up is the Molex connector terminals for the column mounted ignition switch. The subject keeps coming up time and again and is not directly related to bulkhead connectors or charging system issues. These under current rated terminals have been failing since these cars were new, not just from age/exposure related corrosion. A/C equipped cars and higher optioned cars will be more prone to burned connectors than non-A/C/ no-option cars. Some info about later replacement ignition switches as well.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Good post. We found a lot of those cars like this. They won't start , people got frustrated and we bought a few in the same shape and fixed them.

383RT

Reaction score
I also wanted to add, that be careful of aftermarket parts. Not everything appears to be what it is. Case in point, I bought a replacement ignition switch (like the one in the video) as a future spare and normally I examine everything that I buy for fit and function. When I was doing some testing on this switch, I wanted to look at the crimps that were made on the barrel connectors. I noticed that the extraction tool that I made awhile back (to fit my original ignition switch barrel connectors) would not fit on this replacement ignition switch barrel connectors. I modified one of my extractors for a larger inside diameter and pulled the connectors out. The replacement ignition switch has larger diameter barrel connectors than the original ignition switch. See attached picture (the barrel connector on the left is original and the one on the right is aftermarket). This setup would not have been able to provide a proper connection between the main wire harness Molex connector and the ignition switch Molex connector.
IMG_2497.jpeg

Back