• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can it be saved?

71vett4spd

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the problem so many have when someone would re-body a car using a doner "body tub" compared to virtually replacing every panel but a roof structure and possibly firewall? V.I.N. tags and trim tags are removed and fastened to the "new" body.. At least for most instances the original engine and driveline components are long gone and missing. Starting with a rolling project body with tags in essence. Just asking since I've been confronted with such scenarios over 35+ years. Always walking away from this kind of deal.

71vett4spd

Reaction score
Yeah, this was never the plan when I started. LOL. it had some rust between the drip rail and roof skin by the qtr. window had to remove the roof skin to repair the spot and then found much of the structure under it was rotted thru so those panels had to be removed the rust cut out new parts made then rewelded. You know it's like the old saying, one thing leads to another an so on.
Projects are NEVER what they look like. The old saying, opening a can of worms. Cars, houses, etc...

Rich Followell

Reaction score
When you remove the id tags from one car and place them on another car. In the eyes of the law you have committed Federal, State, and most likely local criminal fraud . Despite what good intensions you may have. and it does not matter even when you legally own both said cars. How to do this is can be seen by watching the original Gone in 60 seconds. I Strongly Recommend that no one should do this! As for virtually replacing every part with another that is simply considered a repair. If there are any attorneys that read this please correct any mistake I may have made

71vett4spd

Reaction score
When you remove the id tags from one car and place them on another car. In the eyes of the law you have committed Federal, State, and most likely local criminal fraud . Despite what good intensions you may have. and it does not matter even when you legally own both said cars. How to do this is can be seen by watching the original Gone in 60 seconds. I Strongly Recommend that no one should do this! As for virtually replacing every part with another that is simply considered a repair. If there are any attorneys that read this please correct any mistake I may have made
Most definitely is a felony in the eyes of our elected officials. These days such is the way things are.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I remember a guy years ago telling a group of people outside a mopar club meeting that he had a 69 Hemi Round Runner for sale in a paper bag (VIN, fendertag, pieces of sheet metal). Not very smart! Especially since we had CHPs in our club.

71vett4spd

Reaction score
I remember a guy years ago telling a group of people outside a mopar club meeting that he had a 69 Hemi Round Runner for sale in a paper bag (VIN, fendertag, pieces of sheet metal). Not very smart! Especially since we had CHPs in our club.
I know car companies put v.i.n. numbers in various places throughout the body sheet metal. You can always compare tags if suspect. Unless of course you have replaced about every single piece of sheet metal I've watched shops or people do. For instance a 1970-74 E body v.i.n. tag is attached to dash pads. When replacing the dash pad one must put his tag onto the new dash pad. Fender tags are removed and put back on since you cannot properly clean rust out from under the tag and fender. But there are still the other 3 or 4 places to find your correct numbers. Of course Ford and GM are different animals.. Don't know, Like I said I walk from and suspected shenanigans. Spend the money on a legit project it's the way to go.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
For decades now manufacturers have had the VIN stamped deep inside hidden areas that are difficult to access. If you can't do the time, Don't do the crime. RIGHT!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a lot of dishonest people out there. I think for the mopar hobby, we have a slight advantage. Especially for 68 and later vehicles.

71vett4spd

Reaction score
For decades now manufacturers have had the VIN stamped deep inside hidden areas that are difficult to access. If you can't do the time, Don't do the crime. RIGHT!
I always make sure I verify what I'm buying! If she ain't got a title and matching tags/stampings then walk... Graveyard cars did a rare "cuda and had local police inspect the car then they do the replacement work and have it inspected when finished. Properly I believe it would be issued a state assigned assembled vehical v.i.n. and tag. That's what I remember would be the case. ??

71vett4spd

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a lot of dishonest people out there. I think for the mopar hobby, we have a slight advantage. Especially for 68 and later vehicles.
Yeah I checked my 72 Barracuda 318 Coupe and all the stamped numbers everywhere matched the paperwork. Although I plan on a tribute, we used to call them clones, or better yet restyled I heard on B.J. 1970 440 'Cuda look a like. I can't win the lottery to buy the real deal numbers car. LOL Not sure value wise but why not. I will NEVER not admit to a clone when asked.

Xcudame

Reaction score
My 71 Barracuda was a 318/904 car. God only knows where those are. I'm building it as a 440/518 for myself. Will obviously have the original VIN and fender tag. Calling it a "built my way"!

rklein71

Reaction score
Yep, my 71 is, I mean was a 318/904 car. Now a 408 with a A833. Building it my way!

IMG_4664.JPG

gzig5

Reaction score
There are only a few parts of the substructure that aren't re-popped and those are hidden so don't have to be recreated exactly if needed. My car will be new from firewall back on the underside and only original panels will be the Dutchman and trunk lid if I can can rebuild the lip on it. Trying to save the front fenders and doors too but they really need some love. Not quite what I expected when I started, but it's been fun (so far) and looking forward to driving a solid car when I'm done.

IMG_0272.JPG

gtw940

Reaction score
Well I found a complete car for what i want! The extra money spent was worth it, one owner for the past 34 years. Minimal rust repairs on car. Looking for a 440! 318 car purchased as a roller. Zero complaints! fiberglass front end pictured, have original fenders, hood etc.

imagejpeg_0 4.JPG

imagejpeg_3.JPG

IMG_7016.JPG

71046510743__F76D810D-1507-4E54-AB3D-A3BF6096DF48 2.JPG

71046320549__66E136E7-B9A1-4243-B961-589667A0A36C.JPG

71046509360__7F2DD1D2-EDF6-4AEB-8513-724D59A13C90 2.JPG

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Yeah that's a good looking car. And none of the grief of other one. Two Thumbs Up!

Back