• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Center Console Shifter Illumination?

jjklongisland

Reaction score
I am in the process of completely re-wiring my car along with the conversion from a column to a console shifter. Under the shifter assembly it appears there is a socket for a bulb to light up the PRND21. Do they in fact light up and if they do does anyone know where I can source the electrical socket with wiring? Every search lead me to the side lights on the b body center consoles. Could not find one for the actual shifter. Probably using the incorrect search term.

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Yes, your center console shifter does have a light that comes on when you turn on your Park Lights and/or Headlights.

If my memory is correct, on the 70 Cuda model there's an orange wire that supplies power to the shifter bulb and it should run on top of your passenger side floor pan under the carpet. It should be taped down to the floor pan in several locations to keep it from moving around under someones feet. This orange wire has a male end that plugs into an female connection either behind the kick panel or up under the passenger side of the dash. [I can't remember which place off the top of my head, but if you get the correct console wire/light its length will dictate which place is connects up to the main wiring harness.]

On your shifter assembly, do you still have this blue light bulb cover?

IMG_1239.JPG

Reaction score
Sixpack Steve is correct on the wire routing, it's behind the right kick panel, right at the end of the dash.
On a 70 Cuda, Park position lights up yellow, Reverse is red, neutral is yellow, 3,2,1 are green.
Having said that, I'm not sure the bulb has the blue cover on it, I think it's just the bare bulb, how ever I've been wrong before!
It takes a #57 bulb.

doubleadad

Reaction score
both are correct above, i have my dash out currently and ready to set back in. The shift indicator has a colored plastic insert that reflects the colors mentioned.

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Here's a photo from the 1970 FSM showing the wire routing to the console on a Barracuda.

And here's a link to what I've been able to find [so far] as the best replacement blue 'dome' bulb cover for inside of your console shifter.....https://www.cjponyparts.com/blue-instrument-panel-bulb-lens-4-1964-1966/p/HW2201/

Your instrument panel light bar has colored plastic in front of white light bulbs, and the color 'diffuses' the bright white light down to a more eye pleasing level. Same with your gear shift selector. These new blue domes have a place for you to install a small screw or a nut/bolt through them and into the exiting hole in the selector assembly. Your light bulb then attaches behind/under the blue dome and the lighting at night looks pretty close to OEM.

IMG_0585.JPG

Back