• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clear Coat Over Aged Paint

pschlosser

Reaction score
I was talking with a body work and paint guy, and he shared in 2019, he clear coated an 1970 Dodge Challenger with original paint. The client wanted to preserve the oxidized and vintage look of the car.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Over the years, this car had been aggressively buffed a few times. Most of the hood, roof and deck lid showed signs of the factory primer bleeding through the factory paint. The sides were less oxidized, but still showed signs of fading. Some of the edges were over buffed down to bare metal, now showing a nice patina but little rust (in California).

I get why someone would do this. I even like the idea a little. But, I've never heard of anyone doing this.

scar426

Reaction score
my 48 Panel van that i put a wipe on clear coat (Poppy's Patina). Looks great and lasts. Light sanding first to remove oxidized paint.

20220219_150456.jpg

cuda joe

Reaction score
a lot of hot rodders do it I think a matt clear looks better than gloss .my 2 cents

NoCar340

Reaction score
Clear is a pretty popular option, really, but it's not the only one. A friend bought this 1930 Oakland V8 roadster from Wayne Koffel (the owner in the article). There aren't many left in the world, and it's the most original one out there including the paint, top, and upholstery. The paint is badly oxidized but it's too valuable and possibly too fragile to risk trying to preserve with clear. The exterior gets oiled a couple of times a year. It doesn't shine, but the paint has a bit of sheen to it where the corrosion doesn't. It just looks right. Apparently the oiling's been happening for 50+ years. It still gets driven now and again, mostly in parades and such.

Back