• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clutch Switch

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Can anyone advise if they repo the clutch starter safety switch i can't find one.

terrywalker

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone reproducing them. You probably will need to do a search for a used one and send it in for a restoration if you're going to that level. Also, there's a difference between a 1970 switch and a 71 switch. I have a photo of a 71 switch. When you do find one, they are not cheap.
Terry

Clutch Safety Switch 71-74A.jpg

Clutch Safety Switch 71-74 B.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
I see one on e-bay right now for $450. I sold one of mine last year for $150 and it needed restoration but it worked as is.
Terry

rklein71

Reaction score
I bought a switch for a Hyundai for seven bucks off of ebay and made a very simple 90 degree bracket to hold it. Works perfect and no one will ever see it.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
If i drive the car and it gets warm and shut it off the car won't crank so i was thinking either the starer relay or the clutch safety switch. After trying a few times it starts very weird and scary.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
The switch for the Hyundai was it called a clutch safety switch i don't car how it looks like you said nobody sees it as long as it works

terrywalker

Reaction score
The clutch safety switch can be bypassed. Then you can see if it's the switch or if there's another problem.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Terry i was thinking that if i take the green wire off the starter relay and run a ground wire to the battery Neg side it should by pass the relay and the car would start without depressing the clutch which is dangerous because then you always have to be in neutral

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I can change the starter relay its a inexpensive fix not sure thats it though

terrywalker

Reaction score
Install a jumper wire using alligator clips on green wire post on starter relay to act as the clutch switch ground as you suggested. If the car still doesn't start, it's not the clutch switch. Remove jumper wire and troubleshoot from there.

terrywalker

Reaction score
I've tested the clutch switch using an ohmmeter. Have one lead of ohmmeter connected to green wire, the other lead connected to switch case and move switch arm. It's working if ohms goes to zero.

gzig5

Reaction score
I bought a switch for a Hyundai for seven bucks off of ebay and made a very simple 90 degree bracket to hold it. Works perfect and no one will ever see it.
The Hyundai one you used is an inline switch, not rotary? That's what google brings up.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I used a continuity tester on it and when i pressed in the clutch it beeps so i guess the switch is good right

gzig5

Reaction score
Probably is OK if it beeped, but you could have some extra resistance in the switch that could drop enough voltage to be a problem. Does your meter have an Ohms function? It should be just a couple Ohms when made and infinity when open. I don't know what threshold a continuity function uses to say it is good, so I always check the actual resistance.

rklein71

Reaction score
Is the relay getting 12 volts when you put the ignition switch to the start position? If it does, I would ground the relay, where the clutch safety switch attaches, to a good ground to bypass the clutch safety switch and try again. If nothing, use a screwdriver to bypass the starter relay, with the car in neutral, brake on, by crossing the two big posts on the relay with the screwdriver. If it cranks over then, relay is bad. If nothing happens with the screwdriver trick, starter probably is bad.

Back