• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

correct casting number for 70 challenger 440 six pack exhaust manifold

plum crazy

Reaction score
does anybody know what the correct casting number is for a 70 challenger 440 six pack right side exhaust manifold? The Mopar Six-Pack Engine Handbook list it as 2899970, but I have also seen 2899879. From what I have read only one will hook up without problems to the exhaust pipe. Thanks in advance

Longgone

Reaction score
Oddly, I have a book that shows 2899970 as a drivers side ex. manifold for a 383- 2 barrel engine.(?) This goes against standard parts code for Chrysler as the last digit is generally odd for left and even for right side parts. The same book gives 2951865 as the right side manifold casting for 1970 and 71 440 HP. Again (?) It also shows numbers 2806898 for the right side and 2843991 for the left side on HP 383/440 cars. This seems closer to correct to me. I don`t know if this helps or confuses things more but at least you can cross reference the numbers and perhaps find the correct casting.

Cudaized

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure if Cuda and Challenger 440 six packs are the same, I can't see why they would not be. On my original 70 440 six pack Cuda the numbers are Left: 2951865 and Right:2899879. I have replaced the front pipes with Year One reproductions and had no problem bolting them up. I have had this car for 33 years and it is a numbers matching engine,as far as I know these manifolds are the originals. Hope this helps.

Cuda 11a.jpg

Last edited:

plum crazy

Reaction score
correct casting numbers

thanks guys for the info, I bought the set I was looking at with your help. This is my first MOPAR since I sold my last one in the 90's. I cant believe how hard its gotten to get the right parts now that the car is 40 years old. thanks again

Longgone

Reaction score
Glad you found what you were looking for. It`s odd having multiple casting numbers for essentially the same thing. Perhaps there`s one casting for a B-body and another for an E-body?

plum crazy

Reaction score
correct casting numbers

I think the writers of the book made a mistake because I couldnt find their casting number for the right side anywhere. Hey Cudaized, are you using the factory 402 oil pan or did you go with a larger capacity pan?

Cudaized

Reaction score
My car is stock except for the mopar 509 cam. I use the the original oil pan and never have had an oil shortage problem, even when I was racing the car years back. By the way if you are using stock steel valve covers, I found that Felpro gasket VS50145R works best to stop leaks. It is made of fiber with a rubber coating for high heat. I put them on about a year ago and it is the first time in years that I haven't had an oil leak. If you check Auto Zone they are about $15.00 a set. Good luck with your six pack.

My engine.jpg

Back