• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cowl and radiator support numbers missing?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Friend is looking at a 70 318 barracuda to restore into a 440 speed. He is wondering if he should walk away cause the upper cowl has been replaced and the front clip is from a 74 barracuda. The vin tag and door sticker says 70 but the other vin numbers dont match or they are missing. Should he buy it or walk away? Thanks

pschlosser

Reaction score
A 318 car is possibly near the bottom of the list, in terms of value. Walk away? It depends what you're looking for. If the plan is to build a restomod, discarding the existing engine and trans, what difference does it make if it's numbers matching or not? If the car has been in a major front-end accident in its 50 year lifespan, it seems possible the radiator support was replaced.

It comes down to dollars. If the car is the desired starting place for a restomod and the price seems right, then go for it. All the little trim pieces and what not take a good amount of time to find and replace. If the car is complete, and doesn't have a great deal of rust to deal with, its value goes up.

If this were a factory 440 car, then I agree, it's value goes down without the stamped number, but not by a great deal. I don't believe a 318 car is worth a great deal effort to fake, so I don't think there is anything nefarious to worry about.

rklein71

Reaction score
I agree with above. It does not sound like the car is being misrepresented and if you are just building a hot rod like you want it, go for it if the price is right.

71RRhi

Reaction score
Since your not planning to go back to factory original, numbers don't matter. If the front clip has been changed (Frame rails, inner fenders, core support). I would be more worried if it was done right. The FSM will have measurements you can check.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Is there a fender tag with the car still?

I see no issue with buying the car without numbers if your already going to change everything anyway.

Back