• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Crank bushing

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to help my fuzzy memory. I see to recall a "conversion" crank bushing for big and small blocks, as I recall some auto cranks didn't have the pilot bushing hole fully machined to take a pilot bushing if converting to a 4 speed Trans. A buddy is doing the swap and the pilot bushing is to big, and of course the 440 is all together ready to install. I know I've done this swap long ago, can't find any notes, and memory is not so good. Any help is greatly appreciated!

rklein71

Reaction score
If your crank is not machined for a bushing, you might have to cut off 3/8 of an inch or so off your input shaft to allow the tranny to slide up all the way. Rod

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, now I remember the bushing going into the converter pilot hole with the Torrington bearing. I do remember a 383 I had that didn't have the hole drilled for the bushing. I know this 440 has the hole for sure, it's just not finish machined to accept the stock bushing. Thanks again

Daves69

Reaction score
From a 440 crank I measured.
The depth was fine but the bushing diameter would need to be opened..............

CrankDepthDiam1.jpg

Back