• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drag Pak Challenger from Hemmings

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
This was posted on FABO, and i tought it was pretty cool!

Muscle Cars http://cll.hemmings.com/uimage/2965961-0-0.jpg?rev=1

Garlits to wheel a Drag Pak Challenger in Division 2
http://cll.hemmings.com/uimage/2965961-150-0.jpg?rev=1
Don Garlits will campaign a Challenger Drag Pak in NHRA Division 2 competition in 2009photo courtesy ChryslerDrag racing icon and occasional Hemmings Muscle Machine columnist Don Garlits will return to NHRA drag racing in 2009 behind the wheel of a Dodge Challenger Drag Pak. Garlits, who will turn 77 on January 14, will race the strip-ready Challenger in NHRA Division 2, presumably in Comp, Stock or Super Stock and celebrate his 60th year in racing at the 2009 Mac Tools U.S. Nationals.

Though a far cry from Top Fuel where Garlits pioneered many of the advancements that are commonplace on the 330 mph nitro-fueled missiles today, Big Daddy will undoubtedly find the competition to be very keen at the divisional level. "I am going to have fun competing in a car my wife will actually let me drive," Garlits told the NHRA. “I'm not allowed to drive a Top Fuel dragster anymore. She said to me after my last 310-mph run at Indy in 2003, ‘I would appreciate it if you wouldn't do this anymore,’ and I knew I had better comply because I didn't want to come home and find all my stuff piled on the front lawn.”

Garlits is the only drag racer enshrined in the Smithsonian and in addition to celebrity appearances and media commentary he operates the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Florida.

Garlits’ Challenger is the very first of the drag-race ready Challengers that will be produced by MOPAR performance. The cars are Stone White with a composite lift-off hood and functional hood scoop, polycarbonite door windows and a wheelbase that’s been shortened 13 mm by moving the rear axle forward. The Drag Pak cars are about 1,000 pounds lighter than the production Challengers on which they are based and available with a 5.7-liter Hemi, 6.1-liter Hemi or a 5.9-liter Magnum Wedge. The cars are offered with either an automatic or manual transmission.

The last factory-built drag cars that Chrysler produced were the 1968 Hemi Darts and ’Cudas.
- By Mike McNessor

burntorange70

Reaction score
1,000 pounds lighter! That is just what the challenger needs. Sounds like a nice package car.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
cool car, drag pack

DSCN3314 copy.jpg

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Mopar Action magazine tested one of these, and there best time was a 10.03 @ 133 mph,. Not bad for a brand new car with air! lol

AtomicWedgie

Reaction score
Indy Cylinder Heads campains one and I believe they run in the 9.70 range. We had one run at Cordova, IL and He ran in the 9.90's
041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

Back