• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

"E" body radiator conversion

vtails

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade from a 19" radiator to a 26" for a big block conversion. I noticed that there are several rightside radiator support panels available on Ebay to accomplish the 22" to 26" but nothing for the 19" radiator. Inquiring with the sellers they say the 22" conversion will not work and do not know what is necessary to go to a 26"
Has anyone been involved with this conversion and if so what is needed?
Also, looking for a 26" radiator for this project.
Thanks,

Adam

Reaction score
The Ebay panel looks like it will work for the right side; as for the left side, what is the distance from the frame rail edge to the radiator opening? I will measure mine (26 in.) when I get home. This is the flat rail under the battery tray to the radiator opening.

vtails

Reaction score
Measurements

The Ebay panel looks like it will work for the right side; as for the left side, what is the distance from the frame rail edge to the radiator opening? I will measure mine (26 in.) when I get home. This is the flat rail under the battery tray to the radiator opening.

Hi Adam,
Thank you for the time and effort to help me with this.
I measured the distance you requested. It is 7-3/4" rail to fins on the leftside... The rightside is 5 3/8"
The distance from the rail to the mounting bolt center is 5 5/8" on the Leftside and 3 5/8 on the Right.
The 4 mounting holes upper/lower are directly across from each other.
Thanks again for the help,
Marc

Adam

Reaction score
We must be measuring two different ways. From the inner (engine side) edge of the horizontal top of the frame rail (flat shelf under the battery box) to the actual radiator opening on mine is only 2 1/2 inches on the left side, and about 1/2 in on the right. If yours is that much smaller you will obviously need both sides. Those frame rails are what ultimately limit the width of the radiator. I have an aluminum radiator and I went with the largest that would physically fit. I seem to recall the side tanks measurements are included in the overall length, so I wanted as much exposed core as I could get. I do not know the width of a factory 26 inch radiator, but I dont think it is an actual 26 inches.

vtails

Reaction score
measurements

We must be measuring two different ways. From the inner (engine side) edge of the horizontal top of the frame rail (flat shelf under the battery box) to the actual radiator opening on mine is only 2 1/2 inches on the left side, and about 1/2 in on the right. If yours is that much smaller you will obviously need both sides. Those frame rails are what ultimately limit the width of the radiator. I have an aluminum radiator and I went with the largest that would physically fit. I seem to recall the side tanks measurements are included in the overall length, so I wanted as much exposed core as I could get. I do not know the width of a factory 26 inch radiator, but I dont think it is an actual 26 inches.

Hi adam,
Yes, initially I went under the flat rail to the actual frame rail. I re-measured using your directions. The leftside is 6 7/8" from the rail edge to the fins on the radiator and the rightside is 4". The left side of the radiator mounting frame which has the 2 mounting holes is approx. 5" wide which centers the radiator on the motor. Maybe a measurement of the left frame rail edge to the center of the mounting bolt holes may help.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Marc

Adam

Reaction score
Ok, on the left side, from edge of the rail to the center of the mounting bolt hole is 1 and 7/8 inches.

vtails

Reaction score
Measurements

Ok, on the left side, from edge of the rail to the center of the mounting bolt hole is 1 and 7/8 inches.

Good morning Adam,
Once again thank you for your time and efforts. My measurement is 2-1/8 inches, I cannot believe Mopar engineered so many different side panel options. It would have made sense to use different dimension radiator mounting saddles and one standard support. This is beginning to look like a nightmare project.

I was a Corvtte, 55-7 Chevy restorer prior to trying a Mopar several years back. GM had it together as everything was interchangeable or easy to explain. All the cars I have previously owned were either restored to factory original or purchased that way which I prefer.

Six years ago I bought an all original (only reason for the purchase) 1971 Green 340 Challenger from the original owner family in Lynnwood, WA. The only reason I purchased it was it was a single family owned car and all original which is important to me. They called the car a promo car, they had several newspaper articles about the New 1971 Challenger and this car was the one depicted, it has two Broadcast sheets and number match drive train. The VIN is fairly low numbered,VIN is 10002XX.

It has a crasy mix of options like 340, auto, console, P/S, P/disc brakes,vinyl top, luggage rack, houndstooth interior, ralley package, wood steering wheel, remote mirrors, outside trim package, ralley wheels, dual exhaust w/ chrome tips, wild megenta side stripes(original to the car) and a lot more all on a
regular Challenger with a flat hood. It appears they were marketing this car for the sport and older gererations.
The car has a factory 26 inch radiator however I have it stored at a garage 350 miles away and cannot get the measurements I am looking for here due to the distance and weather.
Anyway, thanks again,
Marc

Back