• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Early A Body Rear Swap

Valiant64

Reaction score
Thinking about swapping out the stock 7 1/4 rear in my 1964 Valiant for a Dana 60 out of a 70s E body. I Googled the flange to flange difference, and it came to around 6 inches wider. In my mind, I'm thinking-OK, that amounts to 3 inches on either side, so just buy wheels with the proper offset and all should be good. Google also informed me about the driveshaft to rear centerline differences of around 2 inches, but I have no clue what that is referring to. I'm also aware that the spring mounts will have to be moved and welded a few inches.

Long question short-Am I oversimplifying this swap? Will it require narrowing the rear or some other labor-intensive detail/s I might be overlooking? Thanks.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would ask on the www.forabodiesonly.com. Any time you do custom work you will run into trial and error. It takes time. I think you will be able to make it work with the newer negative offset wheels. What motor is going to be in the car? You may not need the strength of the Dana.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think maybe the centre line difference means the diff pinion and transmission output shaft are not in the exact centre of the car but offset (most vehicles are) Why not have one custom made by DR Diff or Strange Engineering to your specs it will be cheaper then finding an oem E body diff anyway the stampings and date codes make them expensive and you don't need them anyway plus you will have a brand new unit. Or as Challenger6pak says you probably don't need the strength or weight penalty of the Dana, why not look at the 8 3/4 instead? cheaper and lighter.

Back