• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Modern Challenger Parts into a Cuda

72CudaKid

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined as I want to learn more about swapping modern drivetrain and accessories from modern challengers into a 1970-74 Cuda. I own a 2018 Challenger and love every aspect of this modern, re-creation of the 1970's muscle car. When I first saw the 2008 Challenger - I thought - this solves so many problems for people seeking new tech/power in a muscle car that replicates the glory days of muscle. In high school I drove a 72 340 Cuda and built a 440 for it in a jr. college class - circa 1984. Wish I still owned it. My ideal car would be a restomod AAR Cuda with a 6.4 hemi. Much like this one. Alas, I don't have $155K. Here's my thinking - find a salvaged scat pak challenger for less than $20K and a CUDA project car with good sheet metal and no drivetrain - perhaps around $15K and attempt to transfer as much drive train and interior as possible. The goal being an AAR Cuda from the outside, but all modern inside. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated and especially links to swap projects.
Here was my ride in high school (long gone) and current Mopar.
IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4470_cr.jpg

gzig5

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like a worthy project. A couple years ago there was an article on a car where the guy took the entire modern Challenger drivetrain and interior and put it in his E-body, I think it was a Cuda. You couldn't tell it from factory, including the modern dash, gauges, seats, door panels, console, etc.. I'll post it if I run across it.

72CudaKid

Reaction score
Would love to see that project. I just got back from inspecting the AAR in my initial post. Very nice, but it would be better in my opinion if it had the new interior.

72CudaKid

Reaction score
It will be interesting to learn what might not transfer over into the cuda such as abs, tps, airbags, traction control, performance pages.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas, and a beautiful 72 you had. As most of us wish we would have kept the cars. Life happens. I have a cousin planning on doing exactly what your plans are. He’s still looking for the right barracuda. He has a Demon, Hellcat, Superbird and a back halved cuda now. I think it’s a cool project, and there are some here that have done it. Good luck to you!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A number of people have simply grafted the older body on the newer chassis taking everything over , it is a lot of work but it retains all the newer suspension & electronics etc .
Fitting a newer engine & trans to an older chassis has also been done numerous times & the bugs are well sorted out .
you will have to determine which route you want to pursue .

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan! I can see why you would want to still have your Cuda, very nice.
Keep us posted on your plans and progress.

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. All it takes to do a complete interior, drivetrain swap is about $100K. Or a lot of time and still a lot of money.
A well known member in our club did just that a few years ago. He took a 70 'Cuda and did a complete drivetrain transfer including the irs and front suspension. Complete interior, wiring etc... many, many man hours and fabrication. Not for the feint hearted.

Last edited:

ACarGuy

Reaction score
Here's mine, a Dodge dealers charity giveaway car, many Mr Norms parts. I call it a "mod-retro".

The white one is a Saleen Challenger.

Attachments

• 20200301_123047.jpg
    20200301_123047.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162

72CudaKid

Reaction score
Rich,
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have a link to a build page? If I am seeing correctly from the images, you have joined the old body (aft of the A pillar) to the new body's firewall/front frame. Can't tell how much new frame or body pan is under the old body. I see all the temporary welded struts to keep the body in alignment. I cannot see how you adjusted (stretched) the 70 body panels to account for the 6" difference in wheel base or the wider track of the newer Challenger.

The more I think of this ideal project of mine, the more I am moving away from it due to the fabrication skills/equipment/space I lack. Since I can't just buy the work of others (north of $100K), I think I need to be frank about what I can and cannot do. I believe the most affordable and achievable route is to find a good barracuda to start with, some restoration done and a drivable toy. Then, as my budget allows, look to install the modern drive train in to it. Many solutions to do this, aftermarket K members/suspensions, etc. I saw the 1970 RR example (on for B bodies only) with modern engine/interior - lots of work. Not sure removing that 1970's interior represents a look many will care for - but that is always the call of the owner. Perhaps I can be satisfied with a rally dash from Dakota Digital and my own subtle interior upgrades. Thanks all for your feedback.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Rich,
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have a link to a build page? If I am seeing correctly from the images, you have joined the old body (aft of the A pillar) to the new body's firewall/front frame. Can't tell how much new frame or body pan is under the old body. I see all the temporary welded struts to keep the body in alignment. I cannot see how you adjusted (stretched) the 70 body panels to account for the 6" difference in wheel base or the wider track of the newer Challenger.

The more I think of this ideal project of mine, the more I am moving away from it due to the fabrication skills/equipment/space I lack. Since I can't just buy the work of others (north of $100K), I think I need to be frank about what I can and cannot do. I believe the most affordable and achievable route is to find a good barracuda to start with, some restoration done and a drivable toy. Then, as my budget allows, look to install the modern drive train in to it. Many solutions to do this, aftermarket K members/suspensions, etc. I saw the 1970 RR example (on for B bodies only) with modern engine/interior - lots of work. Not sure removing that 1970's interior represents a look many will care for - but that is always the call of the owner. Perhaps I can be satisfied with a rally dash from Dakota Digital and my own subtle interior upgrades. Thanks all for your feedback.
There are no links to a build page. The 70 body has not been stretched the full 2017 floor pan has been shortened 6 inches. I think the revision of your plan is a practical solution. Initially I had planned to build a typical Restomod. But there were some issues. The end product would not be worth the cost of the build, The original Hemi cars were not recommended by Mopar for street use thou they drove great on the drag strip. The weight imbalance left them with poor handling on the highway. These days there are many options to improve the front suspension but the mods required to the rear axle that improve handling give you a ride that is often back breaking. After buying the donor, I still needed to buy an aftermarket subframe.{ brand new front subframe with Bilsteins staring me in the face} the donor has 15.4 Brembos on the front that will not work with Mustang 2 spindles, and I really wanted to be able to adapt the independent diff. And how was I going to make the 2017 underhood a/c components work with a 50 year old oem a/c unit under the dash? So after some careful measuring I decided to go full tilt, The end result will be a 70 Challenger that appears stock with the exception of Hellcat wheels, 60 more hp. than an original Hemi car with bigger brakes, better suspension, 6 spd. Variable wipers, electric tilt telescopic steering column, tunable exhaust, power seats, backup camera, etc. But if you want to roll down the windows you still have to use a metal crank handle. And it will weigh at least 500 lbs. less than a HELLCAT. Plus the car is 95% off the shelf MOPAR.

Last edited:

72CudaKid

Reaction score
Your project seems worthy of a build thread, but i can appreciate the work involved in that - still, it would be great to see your finished product. Best of luck.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Your project seems worthy of a build thread, but i can appreciate the work involved in that - still, it would be great to see your finished product. Best of luck.

your project seems worthy of a build thread, but i can appreciate the work involved in that - still, it would be great to see your finished product. Best of luck
At this point I fear a build thread might serve as a how to guide. Maybe later when it's finished. Good luck to you as well!

Back