• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electronic Ign Factory location pictures

krazykuda

Reaction score
Hi all. My son and I are working on a 72 Challenger Ralley and converting it to electronic ignition. I would like to see pictures of 73 and 74 Challengers with small blocks and where the factory mounted the orange box and any other ignition components.

burdar

Reaction score
Is it a 318 car? 340's should have come with electronic ignition from the factory. 318's may have still been points in 72...I'm not sure.

The factory ECU box was mounted on a bracket to allow some airflow behind the unit. The bracket was zinc dichromate plated. I think there are a couple dimples in the firewall where you need to drill. Just to the drivers side of the ECU bracket is where the voltage regulator is mounted. Just to the left of the wiper motor is the ballast resistor. IF you using a 5 pin ECU you need the factory style 4 prong resistor. If you are using an orange box, you only need a 2 prong resistor. The valves to the passengers side of the ECU bracket may not have been used in 72. There maybe a different style Nox valve in that location.

I would suggest NOT using a new MP orange box. THey've had a lot of quality issues lately. Many of the units have been failing and leaving people stranded. You might have better luck with a $20 parts store box.

P1010040-1.jpg

Cupracer

Reaction score
burdar,
Its been a while but do you know if you should use the older style resistor on a 70 challenger wiper motor with the electronic ignition or the later 71-on resistor. They are two different parts. its a two spd unit.

Back