• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine bay paint

A-A-Ron

Reaction score
TL:DR- would green engine compartment on black Challenger get me beat up?
Ok... I have a 72 Challenger, 440 (hemi orange) sucked a bolt into the intake, cracked a cylinder, got engine sleeved, bored a little bigger, refinished the heads. While my engine is out I wanted to try and clean up the engine compartment, hide the wires/hoses the best the I can, and wanted to get a fresh coat of paint. The outside needs to be repainted and have some body work done to it too but for now, my budget will only allow engine compartment to be repainted. I know mopars usually use body paint in the engine compartment, and Chevy guys do black, but I kinda wanted to go against the grain and paint the engine compartment green (sublime-fj5) while keeping the exterior black. It’s more of a resto-mod and I’ve never been worried about keeping it numbers matching original (440 vs 318) but didn’t know if I’d by lynched by the mopar community trying this color combo out? Thanks for any input you all have!

Rich G.

Reaction score
It’s your car do what want. But you’ll probably get beat up. LOL

A-A-Ron

Reaction score
16745804-4ADB-402F-B673-5CD37C75BEDF.jpeg

Coupe

Reaction score
When I rebuilt the engine in my 72 Barracuda, I had plans to later restore and repaint the car.
I had not decided on a new color for the car so I painter the engine bay Dove Gray. That way what ever color I chose would not clash.

Back