• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine cleaning

RUFF

Reaction score
My Challenger has been sitting for a while and I'm looking to clean the grime and crude of the engine. I'm thinking oven cleaner to get rid of it but wondered what everyone else used.

michael

Reaction score
It will clean it alright....all the paint will be gone too and I would be careful getting it on any rubber parts..I have had good luck with diluted purple stuff.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Scrubbing Bubbles will work. You have to spray it on with a cold engine and then clean it off within minutes. It will not remove the paint; but it will bleach it, if left on too long. I spray it on and then use a tooth brush to scrub a small area and then rinse it using a clean toothbrush on the area again. Don't get any overspray and the cars paint. There are a lot of products that will work. What you are looking for is a grease emulsifier. Dish soap and water will do a lot of cleaning.

Last edited:

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
I like to use a product made by Knight Ind. called Spray9. Very much like the household cleaner 409. Should be available at most Auto Stores. I usually heat up engine, if in running condition. Spray it on , let it sit, maybe scrub the tough spots. Hose off. BTW it is also biodegradable !!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I like to use a product made by Knight Ind. called Spray9. Very much like the household cleaner 409. Should be available at most Auto Stores. I usually heat up engine, if in running condition. Spray it on , let it sit, maybe scrub the tough spots. Hose off. BTW it is also biodegradable !!
I'll have to give that stuff a try. Simple Green is also biodegradable which is one of the reasons I like it. I wish I could say the same for the mess of stuff that's being cleaned from the surfaces.

moparmissus

Reaction score
I've always used Simple Green. Cleans well and doesn't hurt the paint. Also doesn't whiten rubber or plastic so you don't have to be super-careful when you apply it.

mmissile

Reaction score
Simple green can be hard on some aluminum stuff. It will pull anodizing off a pistol frame. A friend soaked his new SIG, then found a screwed up frame. Expensive lesson. Use cleaners designed for particular jobs.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
SuperClean and a sprayer with a wand, but dont use it on your dress ALUMINUM. Plug your hose into the hot water heater, spray, let sit for a few minutes, repeat.

Back