• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine progress

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Oil pump, windage tray and cam installed. :)

OilPump.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Here's the specs on the cam. Nothing wild. I'm looking to make power from idle to 5,000 rpm's. The oil pump is from Summit and was supposed to be similar to stock. I was told in my racing days that you only need 10 psi of oil pressure per 1,000 rpm's. Since I don't plan to wind it up too much, that will be fine.
Note to others: Install cam first to check clearances! :oops:
First time I ever had one bind up. My machinist only had the old cam at the time of the cam bearing installation and it worked for that one, not the new one. Discovered the front bearing was a little off. Any others and I would have had to disassemble the engine. It was "spin the cam a little, take out, look for shiny spots, knock that area down with a special scraping (or is it scrapping?) tool, use emery cloth, reinstall, spin, remove, and over and over for about 6 times until it finally spun freely. I was very careful not to get any shavings into the block and only did a very little at a time so as to not take too much off. Then I installed a new cam thrust plate (.007 clearance), new double roller timing chain and new eccentric.

340CamSpecs.jpg

troyintahoe

Reaction score
Coming right along!. You will have to bring it by this summer, if you get up here near Reno/Tahoe. Troy

Back