• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exterior trim material

HYDRO

Reaction score
Good morning my name is Bob and this is my first post and I have an exterior trim question that I cannot find a definitive answer and hoping one of you guys or gals can help me. I am currently working on my retirement toy a 1973 challenger , rally package 340 4 bbl that I purchased new in 1973 when I got back from Vietnam been with family ever since. Life got in the way and has been parked for the past 26 years so I will slowly be restoring and sure will be asking many questions going forward. All that being said I have a question about the original exterior trim, is it made from stainless or aluminum for proper polishing any impute would be appreciated

One of few

Reaction score
I want to say it’s a combination of both, but I will let the older, more knowledgeable members give you the correct answer - I will say if you have the V5X belt moldings - take very good care of them, because there’s no reproduction of this item

pschlosser

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they were NOT using aluminum that widely back in the 1970s. All the trim I've handled on my 1970 E-body appears to be stainless steel and polishes nicely.

edit: with the exception of the lower door-sill threshold plate.

Last edited:

HYDRO

Reaction score
I want to say it’s a combination of both, but I will let the older, more knowledgeable members give you the correct answer - I will say if you have the V5X belt moldings - take very good care of them, because there’s no reproduction of this item
Thanks for your input was thinking the same also not sure what the V5X belt moldings are

HYDRO

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they were NOT using aluminum that widely back in the 1970s. All the trim I've handled on my 1970 E-body appears to be stainless steel and polishes nicely.
Thank you may I ask was you using the buffing wheels using the colored compound stick.

One of few

Reaction score
Thanks for your input was thinking the same also not sure what the V5X belt moldings are

These moldings run the entire length of the car, with a piece of black rubber in the middle. V5X will be stamped on your fender tag if your car has this option.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Hydro.
The answer to your question is, windshield and back glass trim is stainless and can be polished, all other trim is anodized aluminum.
Anodize is thin so polish carefully to clean, not brighten.

HYDRO

Reaction score
Hydro.
The answer to your question is, windshield and back glass trim is stainless and can be polished, all other trim is anodized aluminum.
Anodize is thin so polish carefully to clean, not brighten.
Thank you sir so would it be ok to use semi chrome polish on the anodized aluminum?

moparroy

Reaction score
On my '74 project the only trim I have cleaned and polished so far is the door tops and the trunk lid. Those are aluminum. I used a strong oven cleaner to remove the anodizing first - and even at that to get it to work I scuffed it with 2000 grit first. The polished aluminum looks nice but not the same as the original anodized. Anodized finish is quite hard and will not polish in my experience and mine had some scratches and even minor dents I needed to get out so stripping it was the best option. My next bit will be the gutter and door top - I'm not sure if that is SS or Al off hand

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Gutters are stainless, door top are anodized aluminum.
And Hydro, super fine steel wool, and I mean fine,and wd40 will clean and brighten anodized trim. Yes a light clean with simichrome (spelling?) Fine polish in a tube won't hurt but if you try hard enough anything is possible.
If you have any dulling of trim, a wipe of wd40 will make it look good, of course you have to re-apply after every wash

HYDRO

Reaction score
And Hydro, super fine steel wool, and I mean fine,and wd40 will clean and brighten anodized trim. Yes a light clean with simichrome (spelling?) Fine polish in a tube won't hurt but if you try hard enough anything is possible.
If you have any dulling of trim, a wipe of wd40 will make it look good, of course you have to re-apply after every wash
Thanks all you have given me a lots of food for thought

Back