• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Favorite 440 "Hot Street" Cam

Haney

Reaction score
So what cams are you guys running in your carb'ed 440's? I have a 440 + .030, Forged flattops, ~10:1 static CR, OOTB Edelbrock heads, dual plane aluminum intake, Doug's headers, 4-speed, 3.91 gears (may go back to 3.55s), 275/60's (28") rear tires. This is in a street trim 1973 Cuda. I currently have a MP509 Cam in the motor. It seems to pull hard but has a pretty rough idle.

Are there other cams with better street manners that performs just as good? Am I loosing lots of bottom end with this cam? Thoughts?

Thanks,

70sixpkrt

Reaction score
I'm using a Scott Brown custom cam and love it. You might want to call Dwayne Porter. He makes custom cams also. Here is my motor specs:

440 bored .030=446
KB 237 pistons .003 deck height
Forged crank .010 under
Eagle 4340 H-beam rods
Comp is 10.25:1
Eddy heads 84cc with stage 1 and bowl blend
Straightline Cam 234/[email protected] 540/525 solid with 112 lsa (4* built in) installed straight up
6-pack aluminum manifold with stock carbs. (Using ProMax stuff)
Comp pro-magnum 1.5 rockers with 3/8 Smith Bros. pushrods
TTI 1 7/8 headers with 3" X cross-over exhaust to the tips
MSD 8546 dist.
MP MSD 6AL
Dana 60 with 3:54

It was dynoed at 491hp/535 torque
13.01 @107.93, 2.08 60', street tires spinning all the way down

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Depends what type of cam you want hyd or solid rooler or flat tappet
I really like the Lunati Voodoo series cams , for hyd the 703 or 704 work very well , I used to order a specific custom grind solid flat tappet which was very similar to a roller grind 245/250 duration with .565/ ,578 lift

Haney

Reaction score
So a little update. This motor was built and in the car when I got it. I thought it had the MP509 Hydraulic FT cam. Turns out, it is an XE285HL Comp Hyd FT cam. Looking at those specs, it is 241/[email protected] and 0.545 lift. About like the MP509 cam except dual pattern and more/faster lift. This cam has an advertised power band of 2500-6200 and a pretty intense idle. Sounds great, but I may want a more tame cam for this street car and get the power band lower. Thinking about the VooDoo 703 cam am may go back to a 3.55 gear. Thoughts? @Chryco Psycho

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
As I have said many times specs are just a snapshot of 1 location on the cam lobe , using advertised & duration @ .050 you can get a bit of an idea on ramp speed .
I have always found Comp to be poor performers in Mopar engines & what the lobe shape is like for the rest of the cam profile is anyones guess but with the wider Mopar lifter & companies like Lunati taking advantage of the wider lifter I believe you would be far happier with the Lunati 703 cam . I have had good success with lunati grinds , in one case 2 identical engines built by 2 different people mine made over 50% more power . Cam choice has a great deal to do with that .

Haney

Reaction score
As I have said many times specs are just a snapshot of 1 location on the cam lobe , using advertised & duration @ .050 you can get a bit of an idea on ramp speed .
I have always found Comp to be poor performers in Mopar engines & what the lobe shape is like for the rest of the cam profile is anyones guess but with the wider Mopar lifter & companies like Lunati taking advantage of the wider lifter I believe you would be far happier with the Lunati 703 cam . I have had good success with lunati grinds , in one case 2 identical engines built by 2 different people mine made over 50% more power . Cam choice has a great deal to do with that .
Thanks for your insights.....

Montclaire

Reaction score
Traditional 509s are a fun cam but they are limited and only like a specific setup. If you don’t like 3.91s or manual brakes you should look at a different grind.

Don’t forget, most or all of the purple shaft cams were reworked a few years ago. Today’s 509 is not yesterday’s 509. I don’t know if any real testing has been done to illustrate the difference.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
My Favorite 440 Grind is a T57 / T60 Lunati flat tappet solid grind ground on 112* CL with Manifolds or 110* for Headers
Lunati never listed this cam I created it from the list of possible lobes you could use but you know they still have the old specs & should be able to still grind it , it is similar to a roller grind in lift & duration .562 / .574 lift with 246/254* duration approx this is a 904 max cam based on the .904 lifter diameter with the fastest possible ramp speed , I used this cam in at least 20 builds & a few more with minor tweaks to the design to make it work exactly in the needed powerband , it is a fantastic grind !

Back