• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Filling body holes

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
My 72 Challenger originally came with the side moulding. As you can see, the holes of an indentation from the trim install. I would like to fill these, and was looking for suggestions.

The previous owner just filled them with filler. I could either weld them closed then filler over them, or weld them closed and attempt to hammer them out as flush as possible. The panels are very straight so I don’t know if I want to go beating away to knock them out.

Thoughts?

AE755DF9-6230-4093-ADAF-7E8DF2F24FA3.jpeg

D1893200-4875-44E9-A55E-92A85A31D59F.jpeg

E4B6AEFA-4EA6-4860-86D1-7FC1F545F223.jpeg

Adam

Reaction score
I would hammer it flat, using a flat dolly on the outside, then mig weld it up quickly to minimize warpage. Then lightly grind it with a 40 grit flap disc, until it would only require a skim coat of filler. Grinding too much at a time can also heat up the metal and cause warpage..

Rich G.

Reaction score
Yes, mig weld them closed. Never fill a hole with body filler. If you get a nice piece of brass and hold it tight on the back side of the hole it will be a piece of cake to fill them shut and no chance of making the hole bigger or making a big glob of weld behind it too. Be sure to cool it quickly after each weld. Oh and hammer and dolly the dent out before you weld up the hole.

gzig5

Reaction score
TIG weld them if you have the option. TIG weld is easier to hammer out. MIG is harder for whatever reason, but you can make it work and it is generally more convenient. I use copper to back the hole with if the hole is too big to just weld closed. The filler won't stick to copper (or brass?).

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I only have a MIG welder to TIG is out of the question. I appreciate the help.

Back