• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

fuel return and vent/vapor lines

Challenge360

Reaction score
Mega Parts has repops of the shield on their site.

They have one of the pieces, but the piece I need, is the skinnier piece.

C-62a cropped.jpg

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I'm sure I have an original return line shield in good or better condition in my parts if you are interested? It's the small piece!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Found the vapor line shield that you are looking for. Great shape for being on the underside of the car. PM me if you are still interested.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where and how the crankcase air cleaner/breather hose connects to the air filter on a shaker hood?

I know i am supposed to use a three nipple valve cover breather first line from Vapor separator, second line to carburetor bowl, and third line to air cleaner? i think. my base has the two drain ports, but am pretty sure thats not it. Any help is welcome. thanks in advance

Rich G.

Reaction score
One goes to the shaker base, one is the fuel line vent and the other is on the carb vent port. Hope this helps

3C576CFE-84D0-421C-9C2B-77DF4E54C3E9.jpeg

michael bucklew

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1971 Cuda with a 426 crate engine. With all great deals come some surprises. This cuda only has a fuel line and no return or vent lines, it has four nipples on the gas tank and two are plugged and two open. My garage completely smells like gas and although I am ok with it, my wife is not. I am looking to to close the loop and am looking for some help, guidance and suggestions. Any and all ideas, pictures, diagrams are more than welcome.

This is what i am working with, gas tank with four vent nipples and only one fuel line. see pics. Also, the trunk has a hole for a fuel vapor base plate kit. see pics
View attachment 65183 View attachment 65184 View attachment 65185 View attachment 65186

I am thinking i should run three more lines. A fuel return and two lines to a vapor separator. then the separator line to the valve breather cover. Please let me know if this sounds like a good sound idea. I am not totally sure where to run the fuel return too. Was thinking about using something similar to below pics. This will be my first time working with the fuel lines.
View attachment 65187
View attachment 65188
View attachment 65189

thanks for any help
Steve
those nipples are for the vapor recover line and to tank. where that hole is in the trunk is where the device goes. my challenger has 5 lines on the tank. 4 to vapor tube and one to front. see if you can find a shop manuel or cd....try Stephens Mopar in Alabama for recovery device===lots of used parts

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
Have run into a problem. My 426 crate Engine has the 60's style valve covers so i do not believe the three nipple breathers will fit. I have been able to find a one nipple breather that fits. Do you all think if i hook the vent line to the single nipple this will work fine? Otherwise i am back to square zero, or trying to find a set of 70-1 valve covers.

Steve340

Reaction score
Do you have PCV on your engine? You never said, and for it all to connect like original that is required.
If you do just hook the vent line from the tank vent system in to the the air inlet of the PCV system.
The 3 nipple fitting is just an air inlet filter/connector in to the engine for the PCV system.
The suck of the PCV valve draws air and gas vent fumes through the engine.
The factory manual shows you how the PCV system works and is connected.

Rich G.

Reaction score
If you has breather with one nipple and a pcv valve somewhere I don’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work. It’s really just a vent for the vapors to go back in the engine other than in the air.

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
I currently do not have a PCV system, however it is on its way, it was a simple addition. Thanks for the responses. Looks like she is going to work!!!

Steve340

Reaction score
Just make it so your PVC inlet is from the engine air filter and the tank vent like original.
And make sure the air filter feed is much larger than the tank vent side.
You do not want all the air in to the engine coming from only the tank vent.
The PCV will suck way too much fumes and possibly the vacuum could collapse your fuel tank.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Yes, PCV should be in one valve cover and vent in the opposite cover. PCV is sucking pressure out of the engine not out of the tank necessarily

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
i am planning on running one valve cover breather with PVC valve going to back of carburetor, and the other valve cover breather with a single nipple attached to fuel vent tube. All the research i have found shows PVC going to back of carburetor.

Rich G.

Reaction score
PCV just need full vacuum. Doesn’t really matter where you get it but it’s usually off the big port on the carb like you said

Back