• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

gear drive fell out

cuda722

Reaction score
This is waht i found when i took the timing cover off? Engine builder said he cannot understand how this could happen.

IMG_0755.jpg

burntorange70

Reaction score
Thats a good one. I also like when they say. "Never seen that happen before." Is he going to make it right for you?

cuda722

Reaction score
This is waht i found when i took the timing cover off? Engine builder said he cannot understand how this could happen.

I have been driving it for a year, but i cannot understand how these thing stay together. There is nothing to hold them in place. It just rides loose between the crank and cam gear????? I am going to change to chain drive. Already ordered it from summit. comp cam dual chain drive. No more gear drive for me. That is exactly what he said.

Maybe someone can explain how they are supposed to stay without anything holding them in place.

racerkilla

Reaction score
mine on my small block chevy one of the pins on the idler gear shaft is a bit longer. it comes out and my timing chain covers just touches it/ holds it from moving out, block holds it from going back. mines been in there for 4 years with out a single problem

moper

Reaction score
It was too cloppy between the cover and block. The only gear drive I'd bother with is the Milodon, the others while they sound cool, are no accurate in terms of the job they need to do. Excessive noise is the result of poorly meshing gears. Run a billet roller chain and a tensioner and you're set for life...lol

Cranky

Reaction score
Straight cut gears are noisy period and I would say they transmit more harmonics into the valve train than a chain does because of the 'noise' they make by themselves. Best system for that is a belt drive. They do not transmit much if any crankshaft harmonics but are very pricey.

Back